Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Games

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Chaos Rings probably got the closest, but it was still very simplistic and the movement was the same "pretend there's an analog stick on your touch screen"

I'll still give that franchise that they're some of the very few mobile games (not counting ports) that aren't bad.

You can't talk about WASD being inferior for walking without mentioning how vastly inferior an analog stick is for aiming.

I'm willing to concede that but aiming is rarely a vital game mechanic for me. Mostly third person action games or slower stealth ones. I need analog movement to creep around. Or I play slower cerebral games where none of it matters what interface is used. I don't play overwatch or counter strike

Yes, which goes back to the core argument - it seems like a lot of people discount gaming platforms (such as phones and tables) because the very particular type of game they play isn't conducive to whatever interface they have decided is "worse." There's absolutely no reason interface-wise, for instance, why a game like FFT or Civilization isn't just as good or better on a touch interface than with a controller or M+K.

There's plenty of reason. It's not necessarily as crucial with games where timing isn't a major issue, but touch screens are pretty imprecise. On top of that it's an interface that by its very nature forces you to block the screen, which is your visual input, in order to input commands. Even for menu-based stuff, input by a d-pad and confirmation button is vastly superior.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 10-22-2018 at 03:33 AM.

If you think you block your view to touch the screen on a phone I don't know what to tell you, man. Try using one some day.

If you think you can see through your fingers, good job on the magical thinking.

I have no idea what this response I'm typing says, unfortunately, since my fingers are making it completely impossible to see what I'm typing. I hope it's smart, though.

Spoilers: it wasn't.

I get the argument now. I was coming at it from the other side. The games i like aren't done well on mobile but aren't intended for mobile. Sadly that mostly translates to the companies who make the games I like have trouble making worthwhile mobile games. But I'll agree it probably can be done with other genre styles but i just personally haven't experienced it

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    then the n64 had a horrible controller
    umm ok first of all the N64 controller was great. It was comfortable and functional. One of my all time favorites.

secondly games are games regardless of platform. I've been playing a lot of phone games lately because guess what, I can do that on break and at lunch at work. I can't bring my bigass gaming PC to work, yo.

A lot of phone games are super fun (and yes, challenging) and I've been enjoying them and feeling like I'm actually gaming again even if I am working 40+ hours every week.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can’t speak much for phone games as I don’t play them that much. A lot of the puzzle kind of games I’ve played work great while some of the ports (like Sonic the Hedgehog) were horrible to control for me. I prefer buttons with platformers especially, and I’m very bad at using the touch controls there.

I do want to say that the Nintendo 64 controller was actually super comfortable to me and became one of my favorite controllers once I got used to it as a kid. I did prefer the dualshock generally, but I just really liked the feel of the N64 controller.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Golbez, spuuky. Stop being sassy pants.

Buttons are superior for platformers. And, in fact, almost anything in which you just control one single object and move that one object around.

The latter part corresponds to most games I play, where the object in question is usually a character. I guess it doesn't correspond to tactical games (which I don't play much of anyway), but you really only have to control one character at a time in most of those games (FFT style tactical games, I'm not talking RTS, which I don't play at all) so I don't really see the difference between them and single object games.