Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Games

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Mobile Games

By which I mean gaming on your phone or tablet as opposed to a dedicated handheld or console. What are your thoughts? It always seems like this medium of gaming has got quite the stigma against it, but it has become so predominate that I was curious to see if people's thoughts had changed on it.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I'm not even a fan of handheld gaming, but mobile gaming pretty much just takes what I dislike about handheld gaming and takes it even further.

Small screen, have to either constantly look down at the screen, slowly abusing my neck, or constantly hold the screen up to face-level. Controls are made for miniature hands and tend to not work well at all with movement, which is a big thing in most of the games I play, and never mind 3D, because then you have to move and control the camera at the same time, which..good luck ever accomplishing that properly with touch screen controls.

Beyond that, most mobile games that aren't ports of console/PC games are freemium games with no focus on the story whatsoever, also not a fan of that.

Only mobile game I ever played quite a bit was Puzzle & Dragons, which thankfully is relatively playable without spending money on microtransactions, and since it's a match 3 type game, touch screen controls were fine for it.

Yeah, the only mobile games I could get into were Sudoku'esque, otherwise I agree completely with WarZidane. My thoughts haven't shifted much at all since the stigma started. And I've never really seen any justifiable reason for the stigma to be lifted. Even big name companies like Square and Nintendo don't make "real" games for mobile devices much, and when they do they're more of an afterthought. So it's kinda like VR, nobody is really trying

Not good. At best it has interface issues that makes games that would be good on console frustrating, so even using it for ports is kind of lame. At worst, possibly in recognition of those issues, they mostly make cheesy casual games that I have no interest in. But then I don't even like PC gaming, so really unless a machine is specifically designed for gaming with input devices specifically designed for gaming, I'd rather not.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I'm not a fan of actual mobile games, although FFBE and OO are actually good for mobile gaming standards.

However, playing emulator on your phone is great so i cant be saying i wish all mobile games died. Also greedy tactics in mobile games arent even mobile exclusive at this point, pretty much every single game released in the last few years arent made with heart, but made with greedy intent... (not all, but a pretty large amount. id even argue FF has fallen into it with XV) so if we get rid of mobile gaming greedy tactics, please remove them from modern games and give us back games that actually had thought and soul put into it.

(a handheld console is just a phone that can't make phone calls)

Uh...no. Handheld consoles are designed specifically with gaming in mind. Phones are not. That means the interfaces used ny handhelds, which typically include things like d-pad and or analog sticks and buttons, are easier to play games on, while mobile games are just making use of interfaces designed for trout like texting. Heck, mobile phone interfaces aren't even good for the things they're designed for, much less games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not a fan of mobile games that are designed to pull you in and have you play a little every day. But I do love the mobile ports of Dragon Quest I through III. They’re super comfortable to play on a commute because you can play them in portrait mode with one hand and that’s awesome imo.

Mobile games succeed for me when they focus on taking simple taps and/or swipes and doing something fun and/or interesting with this simple scheme. Anything that's trying to emulate the full-fledged console experience on a phone is a waste of time. Like who tf wants to play Fortnite on the phone?

Alto's Adventure is a fun one to just zone out because I don't actually have to do much, but it still manages to impart a feeling of speed. Puzzle games that are polished like Hitman GO are satisfying and a good timewaster.

That being said, I don't typically play mobile games anymore because it's not much harder for me to bring my 3DS if I'm gonna be in a situation where I'd want to play a game on the go. And that's just a more enjoyable experience in general. The phone gets used for the occasional game of chess or crossword but that's about it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Uh...no. Handheld consoles are designed specifically with gaming in mind. Phones are not. That means the interfaces used ny handhelds, which typically include things like d-pad and or analog sticks and buttons, are easier to play games on, while mobile games are just making use of interfaces designed for trout like texting. Heck, mobile phone interfaces aren't even good for the things they're designed for, much less games.
    Sounds like you've used some really bad phones.

A game CAN be designed for a D-Pad or analog sticks. A game CAN also be designed for a touch screen. It can be just as good. Hey, it could be better. Some games play better with a mouse and keyboard (even ones people enjoy on consoles with a much inferior controller setup). Some games play better with a controller (even ones people enjoy on a PC with a much inferior m+k setup). Some games play better with the buttons on a DS. Some play better on a touch-screen surface. Some play better with a VR interface. If a game is made with its control schema in mind, it is good. There is nothing inherently limiting about a phone in terms of playing games.

It's the difference between an interface designed for playing games and games designed around an interface. You can design games for troutty interfaces, but they're still troutty interfaces and probably troutty games.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Sure, touch screen controls can be better for certain games.

Games I don't care about, like the freemium gacha crap that plagues mobile.

It's the difference between an interface designed for playing games and games designed around an interface. You can design games for troutty interfaces, but they're still troutty interfaces and probably troutty games.
    Suit yourself; the only person you're cheating with that mindset is you. PS: all consoles have troutty interfaces. And yeah, people have designed games around them anyway. Are some good? Who knows, I guess it's up to you to decide if good games can be designed for troutty interfaces or not.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Suit yourself; the only person you're cheating with that mindset is you. PS: all consoles have troutty interfaces. And yeah, people have designed games around them anyway. Are some good? Who knows, I guess it's up to you to decide if good games can be designed for troutty interfaces or not.
    if interface counts as controllers, then the n64 had a horrible controller and yet the games managed to be awesome so i definately agree with that lol

To be fair mice and keyboards weren't technically designed for playing games. Games were designed around a mouse and keyboard. And i still feel it's the inferior option. Analog walking beats WASD. And I'm honestly baffled nobody has really addressed that problem. So i guess phones are the same way. The interface was already there. At least consoles are designed around the concept. There are gaming phones that have interested me. But I still don't think anyone has made games good enough to justify the dive. Unless someone invents an awesome new genre I can't imagine how an epic rpg would pan out with a gripping story and touchy tappy controls. But if and when it happens I'm sure it will be a media sensation