Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revive a Franchise, but kill another...

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    < .<

Donkey Kong isn't really new though. He's just as old as Mario.

I readily concede that DKC is better than Mario if that was the point. However, I don't think DKC implements as many new ideas as something like Super Mario Odyssey. I tend to think that Nintendo funnels most of its ideas for what would be new and interesting in a platformer into Mario. That's why I don't think replacing it with a new platformer would do much more than lower the quality/interest in whatever was produced.

While it is certainly true that Nintendo funnels most of its creative energy into the Mario series, DKC's existence does set the precedence for the company creating new high quality, well received platformers within a similar design space, which is more the point I was trying to make. I do not fully disagree with what you are saying, mind you, as Mario traditionally has been, and continues to be, the company's flagship series and when they want to develop a new platformer it is directly where they go and spend their money and effort, it is just that I do believe they, or as is the case with DKC one of their first party teams, do possess the ability to develop other high quality IPs if they actually care to, they've simply elected to let the Mario series serve as a safe catch-all for their efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee
    Donkey Kong isn't really new though. He's just as old as Mario.
    Sure, however the character and IP laid pretty well dead after DKJ until it was reinvented as a banana chasing, barrel busting platformer in the mid 90s, which was certainly a new direction for the series and quite different from where Mario was going.

I want nail biting drama in my platformers

Company: Nippon Ichi Software
    Kill: Disgaea
    Revive: Soul Nomad

I just got an ad for yet another remake of Disgaea one -- seriously, how many remakes/rereleases/enhanced ports is that at this point? Can we just kill that with fire soon? Please? This company can make other decent games, they've done it in the past. Augh. > .< Soul Nomad is a good candidate for revival, as the Ogre Battle combat system is kind of awesome and I'd like to see what they could do with the game a second time around. There's also plenty of story room to work with considering the wide universe NIS has built.

Company: Ubisoft

Kill: "Tom Clancy's blah di blah"
    God, enough already! Truly, the last word in generic, forgettable shooters.

Revive: Prince of Persia
    I feel like it's a franchise that could support at least one or two more big titles.