Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best RPG...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Best RPG...

...for every system you've played. If you want to share some PC love, try to split it into eras for variety. Handhelds are included. Have fun.

Switch - Breath of the Wild. I know it's not really an RPG, but the only RPGs I've played I haven't finished and don't actually like too much, so I feel like the Zelda game deserves the "best RPG" title more for being close to an RPG and actually worthy of a superlative.

PS4 - Persona 5 - This is basically the FF of the 21st century for me, by which I mean FF used to be far and away my favorite series and now Persona is.

PS3 - Hmmmmmmm.....don't know. What I do know is that PS3 wasn't very good on the RPG front. The only ones I can think of that I might pick are games I didn't even finish like Tales of Xillia (yeah, it's a pretty sad statement of the RPGs on a console when a mediocre series like Tales might have produced a "best"). Can I just pick Persona 5 again, even though I only played the PS4 version?

PS2 - Lots of choices. I would say Persona 4 or Persona 3 almost neck and neck, but Suikoden V and Suikoden III run pretty close and FFX isn't too far off either.

PSX - This is almost unfair, because easily 3 of my top 5 favorites are on the Playstation and at least 5, maybe 6 of my top ten. Suffice it to say that even my second and third on the list beat out all the other consoles. For first place though, I'd go for FFVII. Running close behind are FFVIII and Suikoden II.

SNES - FFVI. This console is also filled with lots of greats like FFIV, CT, and SOM, which follow close behind, but they're kind of oversshadowed by PSX.

NES - Uh.....FF...maybe or Dragon Warrior. NES RPGs aren't that great. I would again, probably choose Zelda over the real RPGs.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Can I just pick Persona 5 again, even though I only played the PS4 version?
    No

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

NES: By default it has to be FF3 since its the only nes rpg i have played, while actually being the NES version( famicom same thing whatever), yes it was emulator, i dinny care.

SNES: FFV, I have only played 3 RPGS on Snes, i wonder what 3 they could be...

N64: If Zelda counts, then Majoras mask, if not then i dont even know of a N64 RPG lol.

Gamecube/Wii: It is here i realize i have only played like the most common RPGs... Again if Zelda counts then Twilight princess.

GameBoy: Pokemon Red, again its the only one i have played for the system.

Gameboy Advance: Golden Sun, Oh finally something that isn't too common.

DS: This is the console i probably have a few to choose from. Unfortunately, i'm going to have to say Pokemon Diamon/pearl/platinum because im boring.

3DS: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.

Xbox 360: Blue Dragon. Its either that or FFXIII, sooo. Unless Mass Effect counts, then Mass effect 2.

Playstation: Same deal as Snes, FFIX.

Playstation 2: Again, same deal. FFXII.

Playstation 4: FFXIV, It counts cos it has RPG in its genre name.

I think thats about it, if not it most likely be an FF or Pokemon as a choice so meow.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

PS4 - Persona 5
    PS3 - Final Fantasy XIII-2 (I feel like I played something better, but I’m having trouble thinking of RPGs on the ps3 at the moment. I’d say FFXIV, but I consider that more the PS4 generation and I only played on pc)
    PS2 - Xenosaga I
    PS1 - Final Fantasy VIII
    Switch - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Wii U - Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles
    Gamecube - Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door (only played a little, but I don’t think I played any other RPGs on there
    Nintendo 64 - Paper Mario
    SNES - Chrono Trigger
    NES - Mother
    Xbox 360 - Lost Odyssey
    Dreamcast - Grandia 2
    Turbo Grafx-16 - Final Lap Twin
    3ds - Kingdom Hearts 3d
    DS - The World Ends With You
    GBA - Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
    GB - Pokemon Crystal
    Vita - Persona 4 Golden
    Psp - persona 2 innocent sin
    PC - Final fantasy XIV

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

For most of these I can copy from a general gaming topic a while back
    (Going by the games I actually played on that system, so for example Trails in the Sky SC is better than FC, but I played that on PC, not PSP, hence FC is my best PSP game)

PC (2010s): Trails in the Sky SC
    PC (2000s): Deus Ex
    PC (1990s): System Shock 2

PS1: Xenogears
    PS2: Ar Tonelico 2
    PS3: Trails of Cold Steel 2
    PS4: (for now) Ys VIII

PSP: Trails in the Sky FC
    PS Vita: Ao no Kiseki

NES: Final Fantasy
    SNES: Final Fantasy VI
    N64: Paper Mario
    Gamecube: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles
    Wii U: Xenoblade Chronicles X
    Switch: (for now) Xenoblade Chronicles 2

GB: Pokemon Blue/Red
    GBC: Pokemon Silver/Gold
    GBA: Super Robot Wars Original Generation 2
    DS: Radiant Historia
    3DS: Shin Megami Tensei IV

Xbox: Fable
    XBox 360: Lost Odyssey

Mega Drive/Genesis: Phantasy Star IV
    Dreamcast: Skies of Arcadia

Oh. Trails of Cold Steel! Can I count that for PS3, even though I'm playing it on the Vita?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

NES: Mother
    SNES: Final Fantasy VI
    GBC: Pokemon Gold version
    GBA: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
    PSX: Xenogears
    PS2: Final Fantasy XII
    DS: too many good ones to choose from; on a whim, I’ll say Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story
    PSP: Persona 3 Portable
    3DS: Shin Megami Tensei IV (although, again, there’s a ton of amazing stuff here)
    PSVita: Persona 4 Golden
    Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles
    Wii U: Xenoblade Chronicles X (BotW would be here if it were an RPG, but it isn’t )
    PC: The Witcher 3
    iOS: Dragon Quest III

Articles
    Blog Entries

PC: Undertale
    GBA: Final Fantasy V Advance
    PSX: Final Fantasy VII
    PS2: .hack//G.U. Trilogy
    PS3: Trails of Cold Steel 2
    PS Vita: Persona 4 Golden
    PS4: Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the most part, try to stick with the system you're playing it on, but I don't mind if you want to count emulated games for a particular system despite playing them on a different console/PC. The No port rule is largely to stop people from listing the same game multiple times cause it's been ported multiple times like the more popular FF games. If a game was released for multiple systems though, list it for the game system you played it on. It's completely okay if you don't have a real entry for every system you've played on.

I will also count Zelda as an RPG because honestly Action/Adventure, much like the term RPG in recent years is basically a vague catch all term that can apply to anything because the terms don't really mean anything either, though I would still use discretion when choosing which entries cause some fall into more traditional RPG trappings better than other entries.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Completely forgot about Mother and Chain of Memories, so I had to update those spots on my list. Thanks Fynn, haha.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nintendo: Final Fantasy III - Compared to most other games on the market, FFIII offers a challenging experience along with a deep and flexible customization system with several cool twists and turns in the story and one of the most grueling final segments in gaming next to DQII. My second choice would be DQIII.
    Super Nintendo: Chrono Trigger - One of the best games on the system let alone the best RPG, CT had a great story and cast that is combined with an awesome time travel mechanic and multiple endings to give the game better longevity than most games on the system. Having one of the best OST's by SE is nice as well. My second choice would be FFVI.
    Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles - Just an awesome and ambitious title with one of the coolest most Japanese world designs ever. Gameplay is pretty fun with a great cast of characters and gorgeous soundtrack. Second choice would be The Last Story.
    PlayStation: Xenogears - One of the most thought provoking and ambitious storytelling games on the console market. Xenogears has one of my favorite plots in gaming and the cast is top notch. Gameplay hasn't aged as well, but it's still serviceable and I love Kung-Fu robots! Second choice would be Suikoden II or FFTactics depending on my mood.
    PlayStation 2: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - Easily one of the best installments of the MegaTen franchise. It has one of the best turn based RPG experiences ever imho. The plot and setting are also distinct and interesting but SMTIII still has the most solid gameplay of any MegaTen title including Persona. Second Choice would be Persona 3.PlayStation 3: Dark Souls - It took me a long time to find any worthy RPG for this console and even just a game I really loved, but my goodness did I ejoy this little gem of a title with it's challenging gameplay, deep customization, and interesting lore. Though not thought of as one, I would argue that DS is one of the shiny examples of how an RPG should do Open World. Second choice would be Demon's Souls for most of the same reasons as stated above.

PlayStation 4: This one is a toss up between Bloodborne and Persona 5. I may have to come back to this one.
    Gameboy/Color: Dragon Quest III - The GBC version is based off the really well done SF Remake which adds in several cool mini-games, and optional dungeon or two, a new class, and the funky personality system which adds a huge layer of depth to this solid classic of a title. My second choice would probably be SaGa 2 or Pokemon Red/Blue.
    Gameboy Advance: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - FFT Lite for my circle of friends, FFTA is a great title with an engaging and controversial story merged with the awesome Race system and Law mechanics which give a lot more depth to this streamlined FFTactics. Second choice would be Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories or Final Fantasy V Advance.DS: The World Ends With You - Built for the DS, this game will pretty much show you how awesome this system is and likewise, the game itself is just a fun and engaging romp through Shibuya. Quirky mechanics and an incredibly robust customization system, TWEWY is a cult classic for this great RPG system. My second choice would be SMT: Strange Journey or Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride.3DS: Shin Megami Tensei IV: A worthy successor to the PS2 cult hit, SMTIV tries to marry the best qualities of both the mainline franchise with some of the more character driven elements of Persona to create an engaging and interesting world where you'll see the best and worst of humanity and the forces they worship. PSP: Persona 2: Innocent Sin - A game I long awaited for to see a Western release, the P2 Duology is one of the most underrated entries within the Persona franchise and while this is more lighthearted and wacky compared to Eternal Punishment, the strong cast of characters combined with the revamped interface create an engaging game with lots of customization, secrets and depth. Second choice would be Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions or Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.
    Gamecube: Skies of Arcadia: This a fun romp saved from the dying Dreamcast which features some interesting gameplay mechanics and a fun cast of characters who don't take anything too seriously.
    PC (1980s): Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception - My first RPG and my intro to the fun world of Battletech/Mechwarrior. This game is surprisingly user friendly for a first time RPG player, largely because it's more narrative focused than gameplay focused. It even has Macross mecha in it back before the whole Harmony Gold lawsuit.
    Mobile: Terra Battle - Hey, here's a concept, let's make a gatcha RPG mobile title that actually has a unique battle system and completely downplays all the annoying "buy yourself to victory" nonsense of other gatcha mobile games. Combine it with an interesting narrative and awesome music and artwork by Nobuo Uematsu and Kimihiko Fujisaka. Second choice would be Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

SNES: Earthbound or Super Mario RPG

PS1: Xenogears
    PS2: Suikoden 3 (fight me)
    PS3: Fall Out:New Vegas if it counts. If not.....Ni no Kuni.

Dreamcast: Skies of Arcadia

Skies of Arcadia might be the best quintessential RPG out there, in my opinion. Encounter rates like whoa. check. errybudy and erryplace a charming archetype. check. Airships. Big check. Cheesy yet amazing. check.

I wont't fight you on Suikoden 3. I definitely think it's easily up there among the best on the console, although I prefer S5 for a few reasons. I've seen much more fightworthy choices in this thread and even in your picks.

GBA: Tales of Phantasia, though it was close between this and Pokemon Emerald. Honorable mention to FFV as well.

GBC: Pokemon Crystal. I think it's the only GBC game I've played so no contest really, and I technically played it on my GBA anyway.

PSX: Final Fantasy IX as I think it's the only PSX game I actually finished, though I nearly completed several others (which were also mostly FF titles).

PS2: This is a tie between FFX and Tales of the Abyss as I love them both equally. So many good titles to pick from here.

PS3: Tales of Xillia. The only other PS3 game I completed was Tales of Graces f, but I never did finish the future arc so I went with Xillia.

Gamecube: Tales of Symphonia. Only other games I played for it were SSBM and some Naruto games, but those were mostly just for vs mode and aren't really RPGs anyway.

PC: Eternal Senia as it's the only PC RPG I've played outside of Pokemon Reborn which is a fangame so I don't know if it counts.
    Last edited by Sarisa; 10-18-2018 at 06:02 AM.