Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy 6

3 27.27%
  • Final Fantasy 9

4 36.36%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

3 27.27%
  • Chrono Trigger ( yes cheating with this one )

1 9.09%

Thread: One Must Go

Default One Must Go

Jumping on that meme trend. One Final Fantasy game ( and one cheat ) must go and say your reasons to why.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I chose Tactics, but that is the only one I haven’t beat or played to death. I still feel bad picking it though. I think it is a fantastic game still.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's like you looked at my Top 100 Games list and purposely chose to wound me maybee.

I love all four, but of the set, IX is the odd one out seeing how it ranked in the 30 range for me while the other three are in my top ten.

IX is great, and it's best trait is that it's so well rounded for the most part, but VI did more interesting things as both a game and narratively, while FFTactics is one of the best written FFs period, and Chrono Trigger is pretty much my pick for the best game Square ever made and is one of the few games I honestly consider to be nearly perfect in execution.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Easy. IX. For pretty much the same reasons WK mentioned. I really like it, but don’t feel nearly as strongly about it as the other three.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Easy, Tactics. One of my least favorite FF games thanks to its combat system.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I dont want Chrono trigger to go away as i haven't beat it yet so, it is not allowed to escape my scottish complaining.
    Same for Tactics.

So unfortunately that leaves VI and IX. It is no secret that IX is my favourite game, so it pains me to say i must let VI go, as it is basically (along with XIII) what got me into FF and is one of the best ones. Goodbye FFVI you will be missed for a thousand years, or until the earth explodes. whatever comes first.

although may i ask, why specifically these games? lol
    Last edited by Galuf; 10-24-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it’s because they’re some of the most consistently liked games on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I think it’s because they’re some of the most consistently liked games on this forum
    Bingo !

Pretty hard choice but I went with CT because I generally prefer FF. Certainly the most comparable, FF6, is preferable to me over CT. FF9 is just too good. I could see choosing CT over FFT, but I just can't because FFT introduced me to that gameplay style/subgenre and is still the pinnacle of it to me. Painfully, I have to let CT go if it's a choice of these.

FFIX.

The game is built like a rock from the combat side, and I will always appreciate it for that, with my sole complaint being the poor execution of Trance mechanic, but outside of that I find the game rather ho-hum for the most part. I feel like the smaller cast should have given more development to several of the characters than it actually did, very few locations and moments stand out to me, the minigames are . . . unfortunate, I don't really like learning skills through gear (though I mind it far less here than in FFTA for other reasons), and many of the references in the game did less to contribute to the experience than they did to remind me of other games I enjoyed more. It is also the game I have the most issues discussing with other people, as I am often told the only reason I don't think this is the best PS1 entry is because I have no appreciation for the classic games, which is a hell of thing considering FF1 and 3 are among my favorites in the series. So, in short, solid game mechanically, but not one I much enjoy outside of the combat and rarely have good discussions about.