Thread: Heretical Final FAantsay Admission Take 2

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, I don’t think anyone has had actual problems with sci fi elements in their FF for around two decades considering FFVII

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post

FFIV's repeated conceit of characters dying and then coming back an hour later is nothing short of hilarious.
    Yeah, that almost ruined FFIV for me. That was bad.

Still can't enjoy FF9. Appreciate the homage but i don't think they made a very good story or very compelling characters. And the music puts me to sleep :/

I have no idea what counts as popular or unpopular opinions anymore since I haven't played anything since XII first came out, but here goes:

I is alright; I never got terribly lost or found it that hard, and I wish the series had kept the Dia spells as they were actually kind of neat.

II is a terrible game. The combat is unfun, the story is forgettable, and you stop caring about your fourth party member because you know they are just going to die off like all the others. If the combat system was changed to something else this game could be so much better.

III should have had the remake for the GBA, PSX, or PS2; but since the remake was for the DS I never got to play it since I don't own the system.

IV had too many playable characters, making it impossible to be attached to most of them. Delete Palom, Porom, and Edward. Let Rydia keep her white magic.

V had the best fighting system with the job class thing, the chicken knife is amazing, and so is the black chocobo music. Having a tree boss is stupid though.

VI is meh, and I never did get very far in it. It wasn't outright bad like VII was, but I never really felt like I wanted to continue with it and only ever picked it up when I had nothing else to do. Though to be fair the GBA was a pretty old system by the time I got this, so that may have something to do with it. Also I hate Kefka.

VII is boring, and I couldn't make myself play past the first disc. I had to FORCE myself to get that far. My brother tells me it gets better in subsequent discs, but I felt literally nothing during Aeris's death scene that was supposed to be all tragic, so this game is obviously just not for me. Maybe the remake with better graphics would help, as looking at polygons after you have a PS3 is painful. Then again maybe all the hype ruined it for me.

In VIII I just spammed GFs all the time instead of actually using my people, and they until wait almost endgame to punish you hard for this. This is dumb, and so is junctioning.

Zidane should be pronounced ZI-DANE not Zi-DAN, like don't you know how vowel rules work? Also, Kuja is the best Final Fantasy character. Fight me. Though trance Kuja is ugly.

FFX is the best game, Tidus should be pronounced TIDE-US, he is an okay character, and I hate Jecht with a passion. Fight me. Also blitzball is stupid; and I shouldn't have been forced to play a game.

X-2 was not good, but it was not that bad either; it just feels worse than it is because the combat and everything else broke pretty sharply from X and we obviously have a different main character who acts nothing like herself anymore. Also sphere break is the best minigame in Final Fantasy history, and I played it for hours because it was just that much fun.

I don't believe MMOs like XI and XIV should be mainstream final fantasy titles. I still had dial up when XI came out, and it made me mad I had to miss out on it because of it. And having to pay for a monthly subscription instead of being free to play with cosmetic purchases like most other MMOs is really stupid. Either charge me a one time upfront fee or only charge for add-ons; having to continually pay each month to play something is stupid.

XII has a terrible storyline, I can't remember the plot at all, and Vaan and Penelo could have easily been removed and the game literally would not have changed one bit. Also Fran's voice annoyed me. Reks was literally the best character in the game and he didn't even make it 30 minutes.

I have all of the XIII saga which I got slowly over the years for Christmas (ironically XIII itself was the last one I got) but I haven't played any of them. At first it was because I was waiting to get the original to play first as I wasn't sure if the sequels would make sense without it, but by the time I finally got XIII I had kind of grown out of the franchise. So I guess my criticism here is that FF had failed to keep me hooked enough up to this point, though that's more of a series fault than this particular game.

XV having a party of all guys made me really mad; as I girl I'd appreciate some female playable characters to identify with. I get that X-2 was an all girls game but it felt more like a spinoff than anything and reception to it was obviously poor. Though to be fair I never did play XV cause I was mad they went backwards in terms of gender diversity.

While tactics and tactics advanced are both good games, the former has a stronger story while the latter has more fun combat. Though I wish in tactics characters didn't stop mattering to the story once they joined your party permanently as then they could die; just keep them story relevant and give me a game over if I kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    - FF in general has always been merely a "pretty good" series, with some great entries. There are far better JRPGs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    And finally: I don't really care about the series much anymore.
    And these also.
    Last edited by Sarisa; 12-04-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Agreed on character pronunciations. If they wanted them pronounced a certain way, they should have spelled them phonetically, and not expect everyone to just automatically throw all their english speaking rules out the window and just magically know it's romanized japanese rather than english. They probably could have easily rectified it with just a weird apostrophe in the middle. Ti'dus. Done. But we pronounced it how it would be pronounced with that spelling in our own language, and got used to it. Also seems like a terrible idea that the first voiced final fantasy still let you name the main character, so that nobody ever said it and corrected us on it at the time

There's really no gameplay reason to have Rydia keep her white magic. She basically only has it so you can cast white magic before you get Rosa. Later on her low level spells won't have much impact and you can use Cecil for backup curing out of battle. Giving her higher level white magic would ridiculously unbalance the party and she's already arguably the best character. Besides, she has Sylph and Asura. In terms of story, there's no reason to say it's ridiculous that after years (her time) of focusing on black and summoning magic she would lose the affinity for white magic, and it's not super important anyway.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Probably using this thread wrong but here's my hot take.

Lightning's personality isn't "Female Cloud". They're not equally angst filled. She's justifiably upset at the beginning of the game learning that her sister is a l'cie and she has to give up her life and hometown to be "purged to Pulse". She's wrestling with a lot of radical life changes at once, on top of not knowing whether she will turn to crystal or a monster herself. Once you move past the Vile Peaks in the opening hours of the game, and she finds her true north, she's a strong and encouraging leader who's there for her friends and even hugs them.

Yeah, she's rough around the edges, but no more than you'd expect a soldier might be.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, I've got another one.

Final Fantasy XIII doesn't "play itself".

Yeah, I get it. There's an "auto-battle" button. But you have a lot more attacks to queue, as well. In terms of button presses, it doesn't matter if you hit "attack" and you swing your sword one time, or if you hit "auto-battle" and attack six times. There's more action going on on the screen, but player input is the same.

Instead of flipping through attack and magic menus, you change your job class on the fly, and frequently. So again, whether you open a magic menu, and choose fire. Or click on "Paradigm Shift" and change to "Ravager" and use fire six times. The amount of button presses is comparable.

I think I could make a solid case for an article titled "Reasons you think you hate Final Fantasy XIII but you shouldn't".

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    II is a terrible game. The combat is unfun, the story is forgettable, and you stop caring about your fourth party member because you know they are just going to die off like all the others. If the combat system was changed to something else this game could be so much better.

Nah, that's pretty popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Oh, I've got another one.

Final Fantasy XIII doesn't "play itself".

Yeah, I get it. There's an "auto-battle" button. But you have a lot more attacks to queue, as well. In terms of button presses, it doesn't matter if you hit "attack" and you swing your sword one time, or if you hit "auto-battle" and attack six times. There's more action going on on the screen, but player input is the same.

Instead of flipping through attack and magic menus, you change your job class on the fly, and frequently. So again, whether you open a magic menu, and choose fire. Or click on "Paradigm Shift" and change to "Ravager" and use fire six times. The amount of button presses is comparable.

I think I could make a solid case for an article titled "Reasons you think you hate Final Fantasy XIII but you shouldn't".
    I don't know of anyone saying FFXIII plays itself (usually that criticism is leveled at FFXII), but I definitely don't see how your argument counters the notion. The fact that it "doesn't matter" whether you hit "auto-battle" or not is surely why people make that criticism. Lots of games have an auto-battle option, but in most cases it bloody well does matter whether you use it or not, because the AI can't be trusted too well to make good decisions. Now, I didn't get too far in FFXIII, because both the gameplay and story were both disappointing to me, but I'd say at least by a good 9-10 hours in, you're still limited to such a dearth of options in battle that really it seems like the only bad choice you can make is taking time to decide what you're going to do. I've heard it gets better, but it's pretty inexcusable to let the game go on that long with such lame gameplay that you might as well just constantly hit auto-battle. I imagine the "plays itself" idea comes from that, though I would rather think of it as I wish it played itself, because I don't want to be bothered if my options are so limited.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think his argument is that the auto battle doesn’t mean it plays itself because your focus is on picking and changing paradigms rather than the specific abilities. Also, it doesn’t really play itself any more than other Final Fantasies since auto-battle is essentially replacing hitting the attack button over and over. I am not a huge fan of the first XIII game, but the battle system was one of my favorite parts once it opened up more. I liked changing paradigms

I’ll never understand why anyone would say XII plays itself either though. Sure, you can set up gambits where it mostly does play itself, but that is only if you want. I’d say XII probably has the best computer controlled party of any game I’ve played because you have complete control over what everyone does. It was fun for me to fine tune the gambits for specific situations, and I still personally controlled all the actions of my party leader as if I were playing any other final fantasy. I could even switch the character I personally controlled on the fly if I wanted someone to do something I didn’t properly program them for.

Of course my heretical admission is just probably that I think FFVIII is the best in the series even despite the few moments it drops the ball or doesn’t live up to potential.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I think his argument is that the auto battle doesn’t mean it plays itself because your focus is on picking and changing paradigms rather than the specific abilities. It doesn’t really play itself any more than other Final Fantasies since auto-battle is essentially replacing hitting the attack button over and over.
    Pretty much sums it up.

I also love the paradigms because the quickness of shifts make spells like haste and protect useful even in normal enemy encounters, where as in past titles you would typically save buffs and debuffs for boss battles because a normal battle would usually go by too quick to justify using them.