Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorites: Old or New?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been playing Romancing SaGa 2 a lot lately; his being a remaster of an older 16-bit title that doesn't really change a whole lot from the original and frankly, I've actually been really surprised by how well this game holds up. Assuming you can get past the quirky game design, which might be a love it or hate it experience depending on the person. it's been a really great game so far and I'm almost willing to say it probably cracked my Top 100.

For a game I loved when I was younger that I have a hard time coming back to, I would likely say Xenosaga Episode 3. Granted, it's hardly a bad game and is still pretty fun, but I remember loving everything about this game when it originally came out, but a decade later and my own thoughts changing on the series, I walked away from a replay a few years ago feeling really underwhelmed by it. That's why I do find it important to replay some older games because while a few will always remain comfort food for you, others can change for you over time.

Three that spring to mind are Xenoblade, Persona 5 and The Witcher 3, especially with the DLC. Those games, while I was playing them just stood out as so well made and I could not put them down. Even now, having finished them, I almost have an itch to start again which to me is the mark of a game that'll stand the test of time in my pantheon.

Take care all.

Wow alot of hate for oot in this thread. I played it at the time and while it was a GIGANTIC hype train I feel alot of it was deserved.
    It didn't feel hollow or empty necessarily at the time, and really pioneered the modern concept of "open world" imo. The controls were pretty good. It looked amazing, and the story and game mechanics worked well I thought.
    It's thought it was pretty unanimously heralded as a landmark title for gaming as a whole.
    Each their own tho.

On topic: I get fairly entrenched in the "oldie but a goodie" gaming habits. I haven't tried a ton on new games that would permanently dethrone any of my old faves but there are some good ones. Red dead 2 is excellent, persona 5, boom beach as a mobile example. But I doubt any would be on my list if asked in another 5 yrs