Thread: Warcraft III Reforged

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Warcraft III Reforged

So Warcraft III is getting a remaster, and it's supposedly completely compatible with original Warcraft III! It's still one of the most important games of my entire life, so I'm pretty hype about this, I must admit ^^

Sorry to focus on just one announcement of the whole presentation, but can we agree that this was the big winner of Blizzcon?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I AM SO HYPED HOLY CRAP

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

/smug

(yes I'm pretty hyped)
    Last edited by Aulayna; 11-03-2018 at 12:53 AM.

I mean . . . I'm down with this. I still want a Warcraft 4, but this will work for now.

Does this mean Dota 3 will be back on Warcraft 3

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dibs on Viper the Netherdrake in remastered DotA All-Stars

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

So after looking into the what's next info.

Highlights
    • The whole team is really excited to share their plans about Warcraft 3 Reforged.
    • Classic started with the idea to preserve games. After SC remaster, the logical path was to do Warcraft 3 next.
    • It was really hard for the team to hide this project because parts of it were being revealed over time with the Warcraft 3 patches.
    • Warcraft 3, while the gameplay has aged well, the art side can be improved, more polygons could be added.
    • The main art idea for the game is to keep it stylized, but not cartoony, maintaining the look from the original game.
    • Warcraft Reforged uses the same engine as Warcraft 3. It was also the first engine from Blizzard that drew in 3D and supported cards that could draw only one texture at a time.
    • Arthas has a neck now.
    • All the new tools used to draw these new models can be also used by the community, using the World Editor tool.
    • The community has done so much to keep the game alive, that the team wants to keep that community alive and just make their lives easier.
    • The Culling of Stratholme is the mission available for testing in BlizzCon, one of the most iconic missions of the game.
    • Ever since the original campaign was first created, the number of tools available increased dramatically, so the team is able to tweak the missions more now, compared to 14 years ago.
    • The Stratholme map was updated to reflect its vision in World of Warcraft
    • Arthas and his warriors now storm Stratholme from its south entrance, like in the Caverns of Time version.
    • Blizzard is trying to improve Warcraft 3 to bring more quality of life that was impossible back in 2001, like Widescreen, Patching modes, removing limitations that don't exist anymore.
    • You no longer need to open port 6112 to play custom games in the future!
    • Warcraft 3 Reforged will join the main Battle.net launcher.
    • The main engine of the game is still the same as the 2001 version, with modern art and extra systems added as a new layer to it.
    • WoW's engine is based off Warcraft 3 Engine. Now, all those learnings and fixes done back for WoW were now ported to Warcraft 3 Reforged, making it a full circle.
    • All the animations, attack swings and combat mechanics are still following the classic Warcraft 3 engine, putting a limitation on what animators and artists can do on the new models.
    • All current models from Warcraft 3 will still be available on Reforged, so you can turn them on as you'd like.
    • Many constraints from the past, don't exist anymore, like memory and processing cores, for the HD models.
    • The removal of these constraints gave artists more room to be creative as long as it didn't affect gameplay, like for new standstill animations.
    • Attacks, hitboxes, and other gameplay mechanics all match classic SD values, to preserve gameplay.
    • All old custom maps, from Warcraft 3, should be able to be used on Warcraft 3 Reforged.
    • All changes for made for Warcraft 3 now and in the future are based a lot on dialogue with competitive players, understanding the reasoning behind their decisions when playing and making adjustments to the game on aspects that aren't great, like maybe a town hall on this map should spawn closer to the lumber.
    • For heroes there is also a wish to balance them, but this process must be done slowly, in order to not break the game too much.
    • Not everything done will be a hit, there will be a couple misses, but that's why there should be dialogue with the community to find the exact mark for changes.
    • These balance changes are a plan for Warcraft 3, Reforged and should continue in the future.
    • Purists will tell you Warcraft 3 is the perfect game, but, in some cases, it is the perfect game with some imperfections, like Twisted Meadow spawn location.
    • Actively listening to feedback here is the key. A conversation must be held with the community.
    • Starcraft Remastered gave the team many valuable lessons that helped when building Warcraft 3 Reforged.

I have mixed feelings about this but I'm happy for the fans of the game. They deserve this

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I genuinely love this trend of Blizzard's where they take old games, change almost NOTHING except for some upgraded graphics and widescreen support, and then put them on battle.net. It's all I ever want from retro games. Starcraft Remastered is a work of art. Nothing changed except the graphics. SCVs still get stuck behind supply depots and you still have to build a dropship to get them out. Dragoons still waltz to the other end of the map for no reason. It's beautiful and I'm glad WC3 is getting the same treatment.

Which is weird, that this Blizzard mindset then decided to make Diablo "4" a mobile game. And yeah. It's not 4, but I'll call it that. They deserve to have that stain on their shirt. I haven't cared about Diablo since 2001. And while I enjoyed Diablo 3 on console, I don't think I've really cared about Blizzard since 2001 either. But even I am flabbergasted they would think going mobile with their biggest old school franchise was a good idea. And then to mock people who were put off by it. It really just screams that Activision is their master now