Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Squenix's Best Non-Final Fantasy game

I have refrained from voting in matchups where I have played neither game.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah the last couple of rounds have had less renowned titles at the forefront, so I'm not surprised the turnout is a bit lower.

I do plan on mixing up the next round though. I'm going to randomize the games again in order to see if I can get some interesting matchups. So what has been the biggest surprise in terms of making it to the contest and which games do you feel got really snubbed?

I've actually found the polls to be going suprisingly close to the way I wanted so far. All my noms seemed to have gotten through the first round and I think there may have only been one where the one I voted for lost, and I wasn't highly invested in it. The only slightly sore spot for me is DQVIII was eliminated too early, but given what it was up against, it had to go. Not a big deal. I still rank it below all my noms so whatever. Probably a bigger disappointment is that Vagrant Story wasn't included at all, but I didn't have room for it. I made my choices. I'd say Sleeping Dogs is the biggest surprise, because WTF is this game even?

I knew Sleeping Dogs would have no shot at advancing (I nominated it) but I think it's genuinely one of Square-Enix's best games. It takes everything I like about GTA-type games, removes everything I dislike, and then puts it in a good story with a great setting.

Oh well, I hope someone sees it and is encouraged to give it a shot.

Well, that kind of sounds like it could be quite good, but then I don't know what the parts you like and dislike in GTA games are.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah Sleeping Dogs is the "disappointment" that SE had because it only sold a million copies instead like the 100 million they were hoping for. It actually got high praise and sales but it became more infamous for a time period when SE was known for having unrealistic expectations for their third party titles.

I was the only person to nominate Vagrant Story, but due to the technicality that it's associated with the Ivalice franchise and because it made the amount of entries uneven, I ended up choosing to drop it. Front Mission 3 and Tactics Ogre were also my noms. I love me some SRPGs. I knew Front Mission 3 was likely a doomed title because I think Rez09 and myself are like the only people I know on this forum who has played it. I felt Tactics Ogre would have done a bit better but it was up against KH2 and I think all the forum members who praised this title in the past are no longer active.

I think the one entry that really surprised me that didn't get nominated was DQV. Considering how much praise this game got from the forum a few years back, I was surprised no one really bothered. Valkyrie Profile is another title I was expecting to see a nomination for that didn't. Soul Blazer being the sole entry of the Gaia trilogy to get nominated was also a bit of surprise for me as I figured most people remembered Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma more fondly. I was also hoping a SaGa entry would have gotten in, but didn't hold my breath for it, but I was surprised only Secret of Mana made it through among the Mana franchise. I figured Final Fantasy Adventure and Seiken Densetsu 3 would have been nominated. I also expected KH to do better than it has. In fact one of my least favorite entries is the one that actually survived the first round but I know I'm in the minority in thinking KH2 was bad, so I'm not surprised it did better than the spin-offs but I figured KH1 would have made it. Which reminds me...

I think the biggest surprise overall from my own side of things was seeing Xenogears get the second highest amount of nominations out of this whole process with six nominations. To put this in perspective, the third highest noms were Secret of Mana, DQVIII, and Chrono Cross with three nominations a piece. I think this caught me off guard because I often feel like only Fynn, Forsaken Lover, and myself are the only people who ever talk about the game on a regular basis on this forum.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There’s actually quite a lot of Xenogears talk in the Discord, so honestly, I wasn’t surprised in the least.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I'm surprised Dragon Quest VII is beating Star Ocean 2.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quarterfinals have begun. I through the winners into a RNG List maker so we'll have some interesting match ups this round. Since we'll have only six round this time, I'm going one a day but I'll release a new round each day this week so one should be opening on the last day to vote for another.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Round 3 is up. Round 1 has a few hours left and is currently at a draw.

I'm feeling really bad voting for the more unpopular opinions. I just know there's some random spying on this thread screaming "WHY THE smurf DIDN'T YOU VOTE FOR NIER INSTEAD OF DQ VII YOU WALNUT ?!"

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Nah, I get why everybody except me voted CT instead of Deus Ex, this is a forum visited mostly by classic JRPG fans after all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, DQVII would be considered the more hipster choice in this pairing.

Honestly, we got a decent mix of old and new, as well as fan favorites vs. cult classic, so I'm pretty happy with the results. Well except for Vagrant Story only being nommed by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I'm feeling really bad voting for the more unpopular opinions. I just know there's some random spying on this thread screaming "WHY THE smurf DIDN'T YOU VOTE FOR NIER INSTEAD OF DQ VII YOU WALNUT ?!"
    But Nier...isn't good and DQVII is one of the best in the series.

What round are you going to have 3 games per poll in? The semis or the final?
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 12-01-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Why even give a crap about other people’s opinion of your opinion on a silly video game? It’s all made up anyway and nobody’s opinion really matters so just kick back and enjoy the stuff you like! Life’s too short to fuss over all that