Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabata resigns, Future DLC cancelled except Episode Ardyn, other announcements

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think they'll keep the main games going for the prestige alone. Despite XV's issues, the game has already sold close to 8 million units of which if they only received half of the game's cost, made them close to $200 million dollars, so it's not like the game was a financial failure, and has likely already made back most of it's costs.

EDITGA: I've been doing some research about Tabata's time at SE which lead to reading up on the development of some of his titles, and now I don't feel like the idea he quit because SE kind of dumps on him all the time is too far fetched.

He got drafted into working on 3rd Birthday while he was working on Type-0 his first game that could argued to be completely his, and SE nearly cancelled it so he would focus on 3rd Birthday instead. When he was asked to come onto the Versus XIII/XV project, he apparently found the game in such a bad spot development-wise that not only was SE's president considering cancelling that title and just starting over, but the Type-0 team didn't want anything to do with the project and Tabata had to convince them to sign onto it, and we now how that went.

As someone who has been dragged into troubled productions before, I can feel his pain.

IIRC from what I read, Tabata handed in his notice at the end of August, and will be starting his own company. Rather than feeling pushed out after the cancellation, I think it's fairly likely that he thought "This was the biggest project I'm ever going to be a part of at Square Enix, it was a big success, now I can go and do my own thing."

Best of luck for him, and I don't exactly weep for the lost DLCs. They may have been able to make XV's story feel more complete, but at the end of the day they were unlikely to perform the miracles it needs.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tabata recently spoke about his departure. Here's some highlights:

• Despite the way it looks, Tabata actually left SE on very good terms and there are no ill feelings between the parties.
    • Tabata largely left because of motivation, and didn't feel like he could grow as a developer if he remained in the same environment. He also wished to make certain changes on how he did things but didn't wish to be a bother to his coworkers and parent company, so he started his own company to do so.
    • Before he left, he worked with the other developers to determining the fate of the remaining DLC. The cancellation of the DLC wasn't the cause of his departure.
    • With that said, Tabata regrets that the DLC won't be completed and apologized to the fans who were waiting for it.

• Tabata's new company wishes to make AAA titles for all available platforms including DLC.
    • With that said, the company is still small and funded by the employees at the moment so it will likely be awhile before this happens.
    • He wishes to also keep the studio small to make it easier to manage, but he already has a staff.
    • One of the major focuses Tabata wishes to work on with his studio is fine tuning the development process. He spoke about the challenges of development and the issues with when a project goes into full development and third party companies are brought in on the project. He wishes to streamline the process and make it easier for all parties. He wants to make it easier to develop games.

Source: Siliconera

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    He wants to make it easier to develop games.
    No wonder he left Square Enix.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXV fans have created a petition to give SquareEnix money to make the canceled DLC.

https://www.change.org/f/donate-mone...=petition_show

YES. LET'S GIVE SQUARE. A RICH COMPANY OUR HARD-EARNED CASH.

Oh, they're so close to their target...

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Oh, they're so close to their target...