Thread: Fallout 76

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Fallout 76

Anyone trying it? I'm probably going to cave and get it since Sarah has already, so we may as well game together, but I just hope there's enough exploration value / content to justify whopping out £50. The "No NPCs" thing is really weird to me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

It seems to have taken most of the aspects of the latest Fallout that I wasn't a big fan of, item crafting and settlement building, and made a game out of it.

I personally like Fallout when it's more about how you play your character, interact with NPC's, and affect the narrative. So I won't be playing this one, but I do hope you two have fun.

My girlfriend has it to play with her sister. So I will have exposure to it and may get it eventually but will wait and see

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'm avoiding it, everything I've seen about the game seems to suggest that it's trying to pander to all types of MMO players and simultaneously failing at providing anything of substance for any of them. Just feels like the game can't make its mind up what it wants to be.

Also it's 2018 and Bethesda still can't make a decent UI/menu system for PC players...

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Well, I think we now know why this thread didn't take off. Yeesh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I ended up getting it so I could join in. Note I've never really played a Fallout game, although I've watched people play some for short periods. I found FO76 to be an enjoyable game, but not one that I would play for the sake of what I would play, for example, an Elder Scrolls game. It was fun in that my mates and I could wander around the landscape, exploring (which I love doing) and having fun. We never had a session in which we felt like the game let us down, and that was over the course of maybe ten lengthy sessions of playing. We had fun meeting randoms, had hilarious instances with both randoms and just on our own, and all that. I think it was a good game, but I would probably have preferred to pay roughly £30 than £50 for it. I think it has solid potential for future updates, too. Also, yeah, the NPCs were robots... but for me the robot NPCs actually worked. If they were real people it wouldn't have made sense for the situation the game world was experiencing (in my opinion), and I think the choice was a good one.

I think the biggest issues are all quality of life issues for me. Of course all those who wanted multiplayer Fallout 4 or whatever were going to be disappointed but people really, really need to manage their expectations. People complaining about a lack of NPCs need to realise that the robots are NPCs just as much as they were in Portal or any random robot-filled game world. They also need to realise that if you don't want to play multiplayer games then you shouldn't play multiplayer games.

It's always frustrating when people lose their trout over things that were clear from day one. I still prefer single player games overall but yeah, the game did exactly what I expected of it. I don't regret buying it, I just wish my friends would have waited a month so we could have all got it on discount and still enjoyed it just the same. But that's day one demand for ya.

There were other bugs etc. but that's standard for either a) MMOs or b) Bethesda depending on what issue you're referring to.

The bag thing was a farce, I'm sure everyone agrees, but I focus on whether or not I enjoy a game and don't bring such external matters into it.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Blimey, that's a doozy! Glad I haven't had to submit any tickets.