I think everyone has at least lied or told a white lie to save someone's feelings. In this respect, I was wondering how important honesty is to everyone. I feel like many conflicts could be resolved if honesty was involved but at the same time I feel being "too honest" can be detrimental to relationships (could be family, platonic, or romantic).

When I was younger I took honesty to extremes and no matter what the circumstances were I would always try to be honest. What ended up happening for me is I would get into a lot of trouble and friends would no longer want to be friends with me. The nicest way anyone has put it was "you are refreshingly honest" but I've often come to find that many people dislike this bluntness I had attributed to being honest.

For me, I value honesty, but I have come to realize that it has its place in certain situations. Being honest all the time can bring about more problems through misunderstandings. I weigh in with my honesty when it becomes imperative to be honest. What about you guys?