Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Help Required

  1. #16
    Lothric Knight Bri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    High Wall of Lothric
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Wow, just read the whole thing and I'm sorry to what happened and was involved. In a way it angers me that people like that would go through great lengths to decieve innocent people like that.
    I can only hope that you will slowly let all.this go and move on. You deserve better then to still linger and waste what precious time you have. I truly believe in Karma and whoever was behind what happened surely got theirs. I hope I don't sound hearltess and cold but again, to the innocent people involved, truly sorry. I only joined in 2015 and can't offer much to say but I hope you have found or will find closure soon.

  2. #17

    Default

    I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that's sent me a PM. It's really helpful, no matter how small the information, and there's some good stuff there to research further into.

    I'm not on some quest for revenge or anything stupid like that. I'd just like an adult conversation with "Rei." I didn't think that by me posting here, I'd have my mental health questioned. I've long since moved on from this emotionally, but I won't lie that they've damaged my life significantly on a career and academic level. If this is as far as things ever go, it's sort of comforting, in a very weird way, that somebody I loved didn't actually die, so there's been some closure on a small scale.

    It would just be nice to actually draw a line in the sand completely in this weird chapter in my life.

    Naraku
    / DemonZ / Soulstone / Jonny

    "The Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first."

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Yeah, I figure it was definitely a fabrication based on what has been uncovered. It certainly did have the feels of one early on but there was no real way to figure things out back then with the little we actually knew of her. She probably thought that it was getting out of hand and that it wouldn't work out, so she felt that a "death" was the easy way out and that the other person would move on better that way than from the truth. I don't think it was the right choice, personally, but despite knowing her on a personal level back then - or at least on a "chatted with them frequently" level I never really had any way of finding out the truth.
    I definitely agree that there's far too little in the way of evidence and ways of finding evidence back then. Everything was pretty much taken at face value. After all, several people actually phoned and spoke with Rei. When she died, why would anyone question it? Back then, webcams were rare so if a person posted a photo and voice file or even spoke personally to someone, why WOULD you doubt it?

    However, in this day and age of social media, reverse image searching and archiving, it has become much easier to investigate details. With everything that has thus far come to light, such as the lack of a Rei Ling Wei or Tiffany Lowell at Morrison's Academy, as well as a lack of any social media presence from her or ANY of her family members (I mean, sure there are people that still don't have Facebook now but a WHOLE FAMILY) plus the fact that there is no record of a accident happening in the specified area at any point in 2004 and no public death record, I think it's pretty much definite that Rei/Tiffany did not exist.

    In my mind, there is no doubt on that aspect of the story. The evidence is overwhelming. The question that remains is, as I've stated earlier in this thread: Why did they do it, and why have they let people mourn them for 14 years?
    Last edited by Intel; 11-29-2018 at 02:50 PM.
    You lie, you cheat, you backstab, and you're completely fake
    Relying on a fragile house of cards
    You always point the finger
    How easy must it be?
    To spend your life blindfolded and disguised
    NOW LISTEN!

  4. #19
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,969
    Articles
    276
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intel View Post
    The question that remains is, as I've stated earlier in this thread: Why did they do it, and why have they let people mourn them for 14 years?
    I don't think someone who would do such a thing will give an answer that will help anyone, honestly. You have to factor in that they were probably young and dumb too. And the fact that they did do this, says a lot about how they felt about the situation. Why would they care enough to say something to people? They didn't care enough when they hurt the people in the first place. Why would that change? The only answer you'll get if you do get one will be "yeah i faked it, sorry!" They obviously aren't feeling apologetic enough to reach out as is, why, when confronted, will they be apologetic after the fact? I hope that if you do find out, you're not going to let their reaction put you into any negative place, Aethalas.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel View Post
    The question that remains is, as I've stated earlier in this thread: Why did they do it, and why have they let people mourn them for 14 years?
    You have to factor in that they were probably young and dumb too.
    We have reason to believe that they may have continued to catfish under a different persona though.
    Last edited by Intel; 11-29-2018 at 02:50 PM.
    You lie, you cheat, you backstab, and you're completely fake
    Relying on a fragile house of cards
    You always point the finger
    How easy must it be?
    To spend your life blindfolded and disguised
    NOW LISTEN!

  6. #21
    Flower Girl Site Contributor Aulayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sector 5 Slums
    Posts
    6,767
    Articles
    143
    Blog Entries
    28

    FFXIV Character

    Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

    Default

    Oh hey, I remember all of this from FFR. Well, at least the public side of it and the mess in the staff forum. Doubt I can help much more than that as those were the days when I was living at home and didn't have regular internet access so never really chatted to anyone that much outside of the FFR forums. Plus I was kinda more occupied with running TSR back then.

    I wrote the whole thing off as "FFR Drama" at the time and didn't really think much more of it, didn't realise it extended outside of FFR. Sorry it hit you so hard, that truly sucks.


    (SPOILER)(PS. I ignored your tweets on twitter Jonny, because you kept using my old name, ...jerk! )

    Quote Originally Posted by Madame Adequate View Post
    Hey Jonny idk if you remember me, I was... trout, I think I was still Mjollnir back then?? Anyway I'm a girl now but that's another story. I just wanted to say that I remember how badly "Rei" apparently dying messed you up and that I understand you want to find closure on this. I hope you can find resolution.
    Did you change to Elvaan Elmdor, or was that someone else?
    Last edited by Aulayna; 11-27-2018 at 09:46 PM.


  7. #22
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,969
    Articles
    276
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel View Post
    The question that remains is, as I've stated earlier in this thread: Why did they do it, and why have they let people mourn them for 14 years?
    You have to factor in that they were probably young and dumb too.
    We have reason to believe that they may have continued to catfish under a different persona though.
    So what kind of closure is that going to bring either? "Oh yeah I do this to multiple people, you caught me, drats."

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel View Post
    The question that remains is, as I've stated earlier in this thread: Why did they do it, and why have they let people mourn them for 14 years?
    You have to factor in that they were probably young and dumb too.
    We have reason to believe that they may have continued to catfish under a different persona though.
    So what kind of closure is that going to bring either? "Oh yeah I do this to multiple people, you caught me, drats."
    Is it so hard to believe that people would want answers for what has happened?

    It doesn't matter how much time has passed since it happened or what they've done since then, it doesn't excuse that they hurt people and should explain their action. You wouldn't let any other serial criminal off the hook by saying "Oh, they do it all the time and did it so long ago. Oh well, lol". No, you'd make them answer for the damage they have caused!
    Last edited by Intel; 11-29-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    You lie, you cheat, you backstab, and you're completely fake
    Relying on a fragile house of cards
    You always point the finger
    How easy must it be?
    To spend your life blindfolded and disguised
    NOW LISTEN!

  9. #24
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,969
    Articles
    276
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    And how are you going to make them answer for it? They obviously were fine with causing the pain initially. You think they wouldn't be okay with it now too? These aren't the actions of someone entirely empathetic to others.

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I wrote the whole thing off as "FFR Drama" at the time and didn't really think much more of it, didn't realise it extended outside of FFR. Sorry it hit you so hard, that truly sucks.
    When I think back, FFR was just a cesspit of dramatics. Too much teenage angst for one message board to handle. I appreciate your sentiment though, it's really appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    (PS. I ignored your tweets on twitter Jonny, because you kept using my old name, ...jerk! )
    Oh, I didn't do that intentionally. We haven't spoken in 14 years in my defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    So what kind of closure is that going to bring either? "Oh yeah I do this to multiple people, you caught me, drats."
    I appreciate your opinion, and it's quite clear where you stand. The same sentiment can be extended to a few people in the thread. The goal of this was not to defend our motive but to gather some information that we could use to track down "Rei." A conversation is welcome, of course, but I don't think anyone should dictate what 'closure' means to either of us. Everybody deals with things differently.

    Naraku
    / DemonZ / Soulstone / Jonny

    "The Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first."

  11. #26
    Happiness Hurricane!! Pike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clover Town Street
    Posts
    18,644
    Articles
    13

    FFXIV Character

    Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

    Default

    I'm afraid I don't have any information to contribute because I think this went down a year or two before I joined the community. But I completely understand wanting to find closure over it and I wish you the best of luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Plus I was kinda more occupied with running TSR back then.

  12. #27

    Default

    There are a plethora of reasons that people try to catfish others on the internet. Studies and straw polls narrow it down to pretty much these: Loneliness, boredom, trolling, low self esteem, and in some rare cases, "revenge" from a past lover who wants to play tricks on you.

    Given that they were a teenager on a video game forum, it probably has more to do with ignorance and stupidity instead of malicious intent.

    Whatever the reason may be, you will not find closure in the way that you want to find it. Whether they were lonely, or bored, or trolling, the outcome is the same for you. You have 14 years of your life you aren't getting back. The head space you need to be in to move on can't be given by their consent or acknowledgement of what they've done. Their answer would be some variation of:

    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    "Oh yeah I do this to multiple people, you caught me, drats."

    They wouldn't be able to say anything to justify the time lost. If, by some very small chance, they're still lurking this place a decade and a half later. Chances are they would not own up to what they did, anyway. You've gone so far as to cold message classmates that you suspect were in her geographical location based off pictures she sent you. I think that would make them alarmed and uncomfortable.

    I'm fully aware that we don't get to "dictate" what closure means to you. I understand you're looking for information instead of advice, but you're being quite flippant to people who aren't telling you what you want to hear.

    In summation:

    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    "I am sure that whatever circumstances gave birth to this persona have long passed".

    I don't feel there'd be any value or closure in trying to reach out to anyone involved: They made a conscious choice to bring things to an end a long time ago, and would either be unlikely to engage if they were contacted now, or unlikely to offer any explanation for the past that would satisfy all concerned. Plus there are the inherent risks in trying to locate someone who went out of their way to sever all contact.
    Best of luck to you. I hope you're able to find closure, even if it's not in the way you want to find it.

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Whatever the reason may be, you will not find closure in the way that you want to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    I'm fully aware that we don't get to "dictate" what closure means to you.



    Again, your opinion is valued and respected. I understand fully that this person will not give me a satisfactory reason behind catfishing me, and that an apology is even less of a realistic expectation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    You've gone so far as to cold message classmates that you suspect were in her geographical location based off pictures she sent you. I think that would make them alarmed and uncomfortable.
    I disagree. If somebody I knew at school was catfishing, I would do everything that I could to help that person get some closure. That's the nature of humanity though, we're all different. Thanks for the attempt at character assassination though, it's appreciated. (I'm sorry, but I'm British, and the urge to be sarcastic is sometimes too overwhelming.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    you're being quite flippant to people who aren't telling you what you want to hear.
    I'm not being anything, actually, I respect everyone's opinion. I was more trying to get the thread back on topic for any information, as that was the aim.
    Last edited by Aethalas; 11-29-2018 at 12:54 AM.

    Naraku
    / DemonZ / Soulstone / Jonny

    "The Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first."

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aethalas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Whatever the reason may be, you will not find closure in the way that you want to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    I'm fully aware that we don't get to "dictate" what closure means to you.
    Speculating that it is highly implausible to reach the outcome you desire is not the same as authoritatively stating how you should feel closure should be. Or if you want to be a stickler without nuance, authoritatively stating you will not find the outcome you desire would not be the same as dictating how you should feel about it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart
    You've gone so far as to cold message classmates that you suspect were in her geographical location based off pictures she sent you. I think that would make them alarmed and uncomfortable.
    I disagree. If somebody I knew at school was catfishing, I would do everything that I could to help that person get some closure. That's the nature of humanity though, we're all different. Thanks for the attempt at character assassination though, it's appreciated.
    That's a little disingenuous. By your own admission, in your own reddit thread, you literally preface your third to last paragraph with "At the risk of sounding incredibly creepy". This means you must have known how it would seem to others. I'm simply agreeing with you that you're approaching that risk.

    I'm not going to argue with you anymore. I don't think I've said anything controversial. My general point from the jump was that the peace you're looking for is going to be found within, I stand by it. You've said yourself that if you do end up finding who you're looking for, they will not give you a satisfactory response.

    All the same, I wish you well. Good luck to you.

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart
    That's a little disingenuous. By your own admission, in your own reddit thread, you literally preface your third to last paragraph with "At the risk of sounding incredibly creepy". This means you must have known how it would seem to others. I'm simply agreeing with you that you're approaching that risk.
    How I personally feel about it versus how I think others might feel about it ties into what I said: "That's the nature of humanity though, we're all different." There's nothing disingenuous going on here, but I'm intrigued as to why you're going through all of my posts in an attempt to find inconsistencies. Which leads me nicely into your next line...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart
    I'm not going to argue with you anymore.
    There's no argument as far as I'm concerned. Why are you treating it as one? I don't understand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart
    I don't think I've said anything controversial. My general point from the jump was that the peace you're looking for is going to be found within, I stand by it. You've said yourself that if you do end up finding who you're looking for, they will not give you a satisfactory response.
    As I said, the point of the thread is to find information. That's it. You're more than welcome to give your opinion on why you think it's a bad idea, which you've done, and that's fair. I don't have to agree with it, just as much as you don't have to agree with my motive.

    The only thing I really took issue with is the presumption that this won't help me get my closure. No offense, but you aren't really in any sort of position to say that. Which is the point I've been trying to make a few times now, but keeps getting ignored?

    Bottom line is this: There's no argument here, and I can only apologize to you if I've come across as being aggressive/defensive/whatever else. That's not the intention at all. This whole issue has been a mystery to me since it happened 14 years ago and I would like as much information about it as I can get. This isn't something I lie awake at night worrying about. It's just a mystery I would like solved. I'd rather try to reach out to this person, and get no response than to leave it and wonder for the rest of my life. We have the power of the internet at our fingertips, why not give it a go? There's no harm in that. I posted here in good faith that this community would be able to help me, which it has done! I've got a lot of good feedback from private messages, and that's lovely, and I'm super appreciative for it. The same goes for the well-wishing posts throughout this thread, including your own. It means a lot to these old bones of mine.

    Naraku
    / DemonZ / Soulstone / Jonny

    "The Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •