Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avengers: Endgame - Unmarked Spoilers in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Also how did cap put the soul stone back? Cause the soul was already taken. So him taking that one back had no point, it was useless. You're just stuck with that one
    He just gave it to Red Skull and let him deal with it! Oh to by a fly on the wall for that one

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Yep, Cap reuniting with Red Skull is something I wouldn't mind seeing.

Anyway, personally I thought it was great. A lot of the complaints I'm seeing (not here, elsewhere) are people just not grasping the explanations they give in the movie or being unable to assume a few things (I'm glad they don't feel the need to go into exposition for every little thing. Why are peter parker's classmates still in high school, you ask? duh, they were also snapped)

I also liked how slow it was to get into The Business, as it were. It really took it's time letting it sink in that half of everyone is dead and what that does to the world and those that are left.

For me the second act was the weak one, firstly because I'm generally not big on Time Travel gimmicks, with a few exceptions. The way they did it was pretty OK all things considered, but some of the 'interacting with our past selves' comedy felt a bit out of place given the situation.

Especially Hawkeye and Black Widow fighting each other over who would get to nobly kill themselves. Firstly most of the scene was weirdly 'funny' as they argued and fought over who would get to die. But also I thought the whole point of the soul stone scene in Infinity War was that you had to sacrifice someone you loved, not just 'someone you love has to die here'. So Thanos throwing Gamora off showed his resolve to do what he believed was necessary. Clint and Natasha on the other hand, have no problem with *self*-sacrifice, but were completely unwilling to sacrifice someone else and do 'whatever it takes'.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I feel... hmmm. I feel the first like half was longer then necessary.
    Yeah.

I can't articulate it, but I felt like it simultaneously buckled under its own weight but also could have been shorter. I guess for me the parts that dragged really smurfing dragged and the parts that were good moved from scene to scene to scene pretty quickly. The first part was "Cool everyone's spent a long time being sad, next?" and the second part was like "wait, I wasn't done watching that yet".

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Also how did cap put the soul stone back? Cause the soul was already taken. So him taking that one back had no point, it was useless. You're just stuck with that one
    Better question is, how did he get the ether back into Jane?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Space magic?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Sounds hot.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finally watched this tonight. Glad I waited until the hype was starting to die down and my two big movie fan co-workers have so many issues with it that I didn't exactly jump into this movie with high expectations. With that said, I actually really enjoyed it, and felt it was a better film than Infinity War. Of anything, I was impressed the film was slower and less action packed than Infinity War, which sometimes felt like a loose plot connecting all those CGI fight scenes. There's some good character moments here, and several fun nods to not only the entriety of the MCU but the greater Marvel comic universe itself. I couldn't have been the only person to chuckle when Cap said "Hail Hydra" in the elevator. Only issue with the flick I see is that it kind of screwed up its own time travel rules in the very end.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Only issue with the flick I see is that it kind of screwed up its own time travel rules in the very end.
    That was my initial thought, but a friend of mine pointed out that Cap could have lived out his life in that alternate timeline and then transported himself back in his old age. Which at least makes a little bit of sense, or at least is plausibly consistent with the movie's loose, pseudo-explanation of time travel.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Only issue with the flick I see is that it kind of screwed up its own time travel rules in the very end.
    That was my initial thought, but a friend of mine pointed out that Cap could have lived out his life in that alternate timeline and then transported himself back in his old age. Which at least makes a little bit of sense, or at least is plausibly consistent with the movie's loose, pseudo-explanation of time travel.
    Co-worker and I discussed this, and she said he should have appeared on the deck device they had, but then I figured maybe he appeared on the old one before Thanos blew the place up and simply walked out before everything went down. I may just need to re-watch the scene where they discuss the time travel to see if I missed something. I keep getting hanged up on the Sorcerer Supreme's explanation with Hulk.

It took too long to get going, had a bad ass middle and first part of the final third then came to a screeching halt with the Tony Stark love in, which will the story needed it felt like it became too much and went on for too long.

Fat Thor is my spirit animal.

I'd say a 7 is fair for this. With some tighter editing it could easily have been an 8.

Also no Michael Pena.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Co-worker and I discussed this, and she said he should have appeared on the deck device they had, but then I figured maybe he appeared on the old one before Thanos blew the place up and simply walked out before everything went down.
    Hence only a "little bit of sense." I thought the movie tried to present Rogers as having lived out his life in their world, which I would agree makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Co-worker and I discussed this, and she said he should have appeared on the deck device they had, but then I figured maybe he appeared on the old one before Thanos blew the place up and simply walked out before everything went down.
    Hence only a "little bit of sense." I thought the movie tried to present Rogers as having lived out his life in their world, which I would agree makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.
    Apparently the writers and directors have different views on it, the writers see it as him living out his life in the main timeline (which requires you to just accept that it's a predestination paradox, Cap was always Peggy's husband who is never actually named).
    Meanwhile the directors see it as an alternate timeline (which requires you to accept that apparently you don't need to return to the place/time you came from)

I'm fine with either one, to be honest. With both scenarios you can either just handwave it away because it's a nice conclusion for Cap, or you can start poking holes in it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I personally like to think he went and had his dance, and then just found that bench and just sat there for however many years until everyone noticed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You know, I thought the woman power bit would have been really cool if the character they were backing up wasn't Carol smurfing Danvers.

Cool shot, but swing and a miss on that one.
    Hand to God, this woman power bit would have been greatly improved if they had assembled immediately before the arrival of Danvers. When the girls say they'll back her up, pretty much the only reason Danvers doesn't just shrug and say "no that's okay I got this" is because Captain Marvel is now established as just being into that whole woman power thing. She obvs didn't want to step on anyone's toes by implying she didn't need their help, which she didn't. Instead, she let them play in the sandbox beside knowing full-well their attempts to help would look pretty meaningless in the grander scope. It's like when Superman shows up the rest of the Justice League. Well, you know the six-member lot... 'cause it's just even worse when he appears to outclass the 1000+ membership Justice League. Which in Marvel's case, if Nova, Quasar, and Warlock don't make their MCU appearance soon, Danvers pretty much outranks every character to date and then some. I wonder if anyone from the Eternals will show up just to put Danvers down a peg.