View Poll Results: Best of the "worst "

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy 2. It's not poo.

3 16.67%
  • Final Fantasy 8. It's my mate.

10 55.56%
  • Final Fantasy 10-2. It was a breakthrough.

8 44.44%
  • Final Fantasy 13. Lightning is a Queen.

1 5.56%
  • Final Fantasy 15. It's better than a jelly-bean (? ) I suck at rhyming.

2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best of the Hated

Default The Best of the Hated

Got some inspiration from Wolf's Final Fantasy XV VS Final Fantasy XIII thread.

What do you consider to be the best and your fav out of the Final Fantasies that seem to get the most hate?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like both II and VIII and think the hate they get is very undeserved

I voted for FFXV, it's one of my favorite game and it helped me dealing with the loss of a friend. Yes, I would have liked more backstory for Aranea and more screentime for Luna, but it doesn't stop me from liking the game. And I think the story is complete. I feel like there're many answers in the subtexts and people don't like that. It's fine, but personally, I like that, I study in a field that requires that ability so :P

FF8 is one of my favorites. The others all seem like they deserve at least part of the hate they get, if not all of it. I've never finished any of the others, because they don't interest me much.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have a real soft spot for both FFII and VIII and have really grown to appreciate both over time. Helped that I never had problems with the games when I initially played them. They certainly have their faults but it comes down to whether you feel these faults are charming or detrimental to the whole experience.

While the fanbase at large has issues with X-2, I'm probably one of the few who has issues with the battle system on this forum, the Grid mechanics are tedious in terms of maximizing the bonuses they offer and slow down combat, the job classes don't feel properly balanced, the accessory/relic mechanic is more tedious than it should be and doesn't offer as many viable options as it promises much like VI's versions, and finally I feel the "fastest and bestest gameplay" in the series only applies if you choose to ignore all the previous mechanics I mentioned and stick to a simply Attack/heal strategy for every battle because using any skill or mechanic that actually requires a bit of a charge time slows the battle process down considerably. Overall, I find the combat too clunky and like the plot itself, it's trying too hard to have its cake and eat it too. Story wise, I think X-2 is one of the cringiest games in the franchise. It's difficult to make it through any cutscene or dialogue in this game without some deep introspective on why you're putting up with it.

We already know I don't like XIII and consider it the worst game in the franchise only slightly ahead of some trashy mobile titles and cheap sequels. Of anything, I don't feel like it get enough hate from the fanbase.

XV is still too early for me to tell. I kind of need to do another run through, especially with all the patches and new content added to see where it stands now. The best thing I can say about it initially was that it was the best it could be considering its development history. I imagine my feelings for it will sink it lower in time on my personal list, but that will likely be due to my distaste of action-rpg combat and open world/MMO design as opposed to anything actually unique to the game itself. I do feel this game has a stronger chance of being reconsidered as "one of the better ones" by the fanbase, largely because I feel this game did a better job of bringing in fresh blood to the fanbase than FFXI-XIV did.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

smh when I see VIII on all the hate lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    smh when I see VIII on all the hate lists.

I know. I'm waiting for FFVIII to get the redemption that FFXII and FFIX got. Sigh. Maybe one day.

Unfortunately, the game still has quite a hatedom.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If this poll shows anything, I feel it's getting there, though I doubt it will ever reach the same feats as the more popular entries with the franchise.

I mean, the muppet babies part was a bit much, and tbh I can kind of sympathisize with people who hate the rest of the cast besides squall (even if I like most of them), but Squall is a great, well-developed character and the game is excellent overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I mean, the muppet babies part was a bit much
    Err, when was this part? I think I've must of missed that part ?

HOW DID YOU KNOW I CALLED SQUALL "KERMIT ?"

That's how I refer to the orphanage scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    That's how I refer to the orphanage scene.
    Oh lol.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

What can I do for you?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Muppet Babies reference reminds me of how I always wanted to make an animated video of FFVIII to this song:

I just imagine Selphie, Rinoa, and Zell singing this while an annoyed Squall has to put up with them on their journey across the wolrd, only to brighten up when they say the line about "the magic is in the cards" in which we get to watch Squall kick the crap out of everyone in Triple Triad before Quistis whoops his ass and takes all his cards.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    What can I do for you?
    Ride ze Shoopuf?