Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the best versions for FF I-VI

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks to the articles from the webseries the OP linked in the FFIV thread of a similar topic, I'm going to retract my statement about going with the SkyRender fan translation. Outside of getting names correct, it's becoming more and more obvious that the script is generally worse than the Woosely script in terms of getting the dialogue right. In terms of accuracy, the GBA script is easily the closest to the original. What's even more interesting though is that the GBA script kind of "has it's cake and eats it too" as it retains a lot of memorable lines and alterations from the SNES/Woosely script that most fans adore ultimately making a stronger script that is close enough to the original for die-hard fans while still retaining some of the strong localization choices actually made in the original script. Going through this translator's web series, it's becoming more and more understandable as to why VI has a stronger following in the West than in it's native country cause the Japanese script is kind of dry whereas the English translation has a bit more personality and soul in it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just to throw it out there, the DS version also retains the fan favorite lines. The main difference there is that Tom Slattery have it a very similar flair to the Ivalice games, which I personally enjoyed a lot. Honestly though, if that’s too fancy for you, both the DS and GBA version are at about the same level of competence.

As I recall some versions that retain "You Spoony Bard," nonetheless, for some reason, move it's position in the sequence of things Tellah says while he's bashing on Edward.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Intense discussion. Those were the days.