Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LWL's nontraditional Final Fantasy VIII Let's Play

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, if you know what you're doing, doesn't take long to finish one of these guys. Course I would have probably put in an extra twenty hours on Triple Triad on top of the CC Club and Queen of Cards quests, but I love that game to death.

Anyway, this was a fun Let's Play and very informative. I even picked up a few tidbits myself so thank you for enlightening me.

He did say he put 70 hours into it, so I wouldn't say he breezed through it so quickly in time played (that's actually a pretty lengthy run) but rather only in how quickly in calendar time he put those hours it. A leisurely pace, where you aren't devoting hours to triple triad could probably be done in 40-50.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I usually ended up with somewhere around 80 hours or so in my playthroughs thanks to triple triad and stuff. I just loved the game so much that I’d still get through it in a week or two depending on how much triple triad I did. Of course, I was getting less hours at work the last time I did that. I might not be able to do it now.

I still have always wished that we could have actual triple triad cards in NA to collect. I tried collecting the FF TCG for a bit, but I always just wanted them to be triple triad cards.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I miss when we had triple triad on the forum.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Damn this was a fast LP ^^

On Adel, it made me laugh way too hard when I first saw on a youtube video that Gilgamesh can actually show up and one-shot Rinoa if you're unlucky. Kind of a case of poor design, but it's so rare that (hopefully) it's more funny than anything when it happens. Didn't know about those 8 Megalixirs though O.o definitely something I'll try to get next playthrough.

Yeah if you hit R1 at any time during Squall's lengthy run up to the enemy, you don't get a second try.

I feel like Squall choosing to break out Rinoa is a great conclusion to his character arc. After everything, deciding to embrace who he is and how much he really needs Rinoa, and taking that to its conclusion regardless of the danger it puts anyone else in, is pretty poignant. Goddamnit if only R=U was true and confirmed

I also like how Rinoa herself is left out of the equation there, as she should be. The choice to break out Rinoa is, in the end, entirely about Squall and his development and what he wants for himself, not about what he wants for her. If the game had gone down the route of him doing this for anyone other than himself, it'd have rung much more hollow. It'd have just felt patronizing at worst.

Ultimecia was a much harder boss before I figured out that her HP is already depleted when she starts speaking her lines and you only need to inflict single points of damage at that point. Before that I was like, how many Lion Hearts can this witch take !?

Congrats on beating Omega Weapon ^^ it can easily be one of the more fun superbosses in FF VIII.

If you really care to be a completionist, all I can say is on the PC version you can have Chocobo World running on the side all game. And due to the wonderfully poor coding involved you can get infinite items with ease; by far the fastest way to max out your stats.

I do like FF VIII a bunch. Squall is easily one of the better developed characters in the series, and the gameplay, despite being breakable to insanity, is still fun somehow. It gets pretty crazy, but where's the harm in that =P