View Poll Results: Which is your least favorite?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy IV: Stupid fake out dead people

4 33.33%
  • Final Fantasy VI: Kefka is overrated just like this game

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy VII: I hate it because it's so popular

3 25.00%
  • Final Fantasy IX: Only popular on this forum, but that is still one forum too many.

1 8.33%
  • Final Fantasy X: One scene: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2 16.67%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: What's this politics doing in my fantasy?

2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Most Hated Of the Best

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Most Hated Of the Best

Similar to the Best of the Hated threat, of the "popular entries" which one is your least favorite?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Looking over the list, I'd feel like playing all these games again except for one. I gotta go with IV. It was my first real Final Fantasy and I loved it to death. But out of all of the listed, it's the weakest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I forgot to vote for X even though it’s the one I really dislike from the popular ones

VII still gets tons of undeserved praise imo. Both of the other PS1 titles were better than it, and that era is still my least favorite in the series, maybe aside from the NES. The first disc is great but everything afterwards is just dumb and not in an endearing kind of way. It also has easily my least favorite cast in the series. Yuffie was a mistake.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFIV was the last game in the series I played, and it did not live up. To me it feels kinda overambitious, in the sense that they hadn't figured out yet what works best on the system and what doesn't, which especially coming off FFV (which is smurfing amazing in that regard) was pretty rough; it's not like any of it was particularly BAD, it just... formed a greater whole that was unstriking and unmemorable. I don't know if I'll ever play the game again.

FFVII. It is a great game, but it's really overrated. Not the best story, not the best cast, not the best music, not the best gameplay. When I first played it, I hated it because I've read too much how it was supposed to be at least as good as FFVI, and I couldn't agree. However, when I gave it another try, I really liked it for what it was instead of comparing it.

I'm going to be hung for this blasphemy, but it's FFT. I love FFT, but it's not really up to the calibre of a mainline FF and the fact that it's treated as though it were (its inclusion in this poll at all for instance) is the reason I chose it. The politics isn't the problem either. If anything it's the last chapter or two when the politics go to the wayside where the game lind of drags. I considered FFX for this, but I don't really think FFX is regarded more highly than it deserves, maybe less highly.

Of course, if I was purely going for most overrated, it's FFVI. I didn't choose that because FFVI is still possibly my third (maybe fourth) favorite in the series, but I definitely think it's highly overrated by those who rank it first, who are legion. Also, the World of Ruin is not that good.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 12-11-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man this post if going to bring back memories of when I first joined this forum...

So while I would largely say VII is the overrated title on this list, I do happen to like it, I just think it's far from perfect and for everything it gets right, there is something that knocks it down for me to prevent it from ever rising above the middle of the pack for me in terms of FF titles. But one title on this list is not going to escape my scathing opinion. Final Fantasy X embodies my least favorite aspects of both VII and XIII, it's really overrated like VII, and it's kind of a crappy game overall like XIII. Granted X is no longer my least favorite FF but it's still pretty much towards the bottom for me, and ultimately feels like a blue print for everything wrong with my least favorite FF title.

Unoriginal and mostly predictable plot, one of the most archetypal and boring casts in the series, one of Nobuo Uematsu's weakest scores, combat that sounds better on paper than execution, customization that is like the combat, probably the worst collection of mini-games to grace an FF title, and one of my least favorite plots twists in the series which opens up such a can of worms that it becomes really difficult for me to take the rest of the game seriously. Overall, FFX is probably one of the most boring entries for me to play. I would rather grind all the magic and weapon skills for every playable character in FFII than have to trudge through Mi'hen Highroad or Mt. Gagazet where I am constantly being stopped for non-important cutscenes and boring combat I broke several hours into the game. The best thing I can say about FFX besides I don't loathe it, is that despite the annoying tonal dissonance of the setting/visual design, Spira has a few neat concepts going for it, it's just a shame none of them reach their full potential in this title.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I'm going to be hung for this blasphemy, but it's FFT.
    Yeah, I hated FFT. I found it to be really tedious.

Out of those I'd have to say IX. I really liked the story and characters, but the gameplay is terrible and painfully slow, and did absolutely nothing to innovate or improve on the formula. My opinion may or may not change once I play IV and VI.