Thread: Almost to the finish line!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Almost to the finish line!

I just picked an old game back up that I never finished before. I'm like one dungeon away from the final dungeon itself and felt a need to finish this game. How good is your track record for finishing games, do you finish every game you start or do you rarely finish any game?

I still need to complete Dragon Quest XI and I think Dragon Quest VII.

Lots of games. And yeah DQXI os one for me too. Not because I got bored, but I was near the end and wanted to dedicate some time for grinding at least so I could afford some more equipment.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I am bad about starting a game. Getting a ways into it and getting distracted by another game and the cycle continues. I have beaten three and a half games this month so far. Four if you count clearing Sora's story in Chain of Memories has beating the game.

Theeeeeeere is a chance I finish basically nothing, since I often get distracted and pick something else up -- Ys 8 might be the first game I finish in a looooooooooong time that isn't something like Civ or RS3.

I used to be really good at finishing games, but once we got decent internet where I could actually play PC games my track record became horrible. To look at the Final Fantasy titles I own in order of acquisition:

FF V: Completed except for the post game dungeon on the GBA.

FF IV: Completed

Dawn of Souls: Completed except for II's post game dungeon on the GBA

FF X: Main game completed, but didn't do most of the sidequests.

FF X-2: Main game completed, but didn't do most of the sidequests.

FF XII: Main game completed, but didn't do most of the sidequests.

FF IX: Main game completed, but didn't do most of the sidequests.

FF VIII: I got to disc 4 and just stopped for some reason I no longer remember.

FF Tactics: I am very near the end of the game, but stopped for reasons I don't remember.

FF VII: Forced myself to finish the first disc and then quit because I hated the game.

FF Tactics Advanced: Completed.

FF VI: I am still in the very early stages of the game, but never got around to continuing with it.

Final Fantasy Legend II: Started and stopped almost immediately because I hated the idea that equipment could wear out and break.

FF VII Dirge of Cerberus: Got it for Christmas but never played it as I hated VII but felt I'd need to have played it to fully enjoy this.

FF Chocobo's Dungeon 2: I played it for maybe an hour and then just never came back to it.

FF XIII: Owned but never played. Same with XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.

As for the PC games that took up my time...they aren't really games you can "finish". I played lots of dueling network when that was still around, as well as other CCGs like Hearthstone and Shadowverse. These days it's mostly Smite, as well as visual novels which have a slightly better completion record than my console games. Still need to get through Stein's Gate.

I picked up an old save file of Final Fantasy X from about 2014 last night and oh ..... don't name characters or aeons after friends, because some of those friends are not going to be your friends in the future and it's just going to be painful and awkward.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I picked up an old save file of Final Fantasy X from about 2014 last night and oh ..... don't name characters or aeons after friends, because some of those friends are not going to be your friends in the future and it's just going to be painful and awkward.
    I know that feeling. One of my best FFVI files involves me naming everyone after someone I knew in High School, including myself as Locke and my ex as Celes. I cringe every time I play the old cartridge.

Back on topic...

I used to have a strong track record for completing my games but that fell apart after I obtained a disposable income and started buying everything I wanted. As of right now, according to my Backlog account, I have a 57% completion rate. It would likely be higher if I wasn't being literal though, as some of my "unplayed/incomplete" games are actually just ports of games I've already beaten.

With each system I have purchased my track record has gotten worse. I beat every single NES and SNES game I owned and almost all of the PS1 games with the exception of Suikoden 2 which I had almost completed with every character recruited but then the disc was damaged and I never got a new copy of it.

PS2 got a lot worse as I never finished almost half the games I owned though I am still working my way through a few here and there.

Now with a PS4, I am currently 1 for 5, having finished Witcher 3 and all its extras and am about to finish Persona 5 but are nowhere near the end on the other 3.

I try to keep it to maybe 3 games being played at a time on a given platform but that falls by the wayside far too often.

Side question, how do we count sports games as beaten? For me, it’s winning a title or season on the highest difficulty setting.

Take care all.

In that respect I've gotten better over time as compared to NES/SNES days where I did not complete most of my games, because Nintendo hard games are too hard and most of my games were not RPGs. Around PSX era I probably had my highest conpletion rate because all my games were RPGs and I had time for them. Ironically, now I tend to complete non-RPGs more because they've gotten easier (or at least have more difficulty adapting options) and are shorter than RPGs which seem to keep getting longer. Also most games have some RPG mechanics these days.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I did this with Final Fantasy XII and had to start again from scratch because I had no idea what was going on or what I was supposed to do next. xD New games are much better at keeping you posted if you come back to them because of the logs/journals etc. they often have.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!