Thread: New Year New Game!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom New Year New Game!

New Year new me philosophy coming into the play as we get ready to say goodbye to 2018. So for this thread, choose a game or franchise, if you want to be ambitious, and talk about how you would fix or improve it. Can be a current game series or you can choose to revive an old series that hasn't seen a new entry in some time.

This may sound like nit-picking, but I really didn't like the art style and character design of tales of Berseria, it just felt too "weeby", if that makes any sense. The Tales series has always been anime-y, but Beseria just seemed to take it one more step further.

I also hated the main character, she was a massive edgelord and felt 10 years too late.

To fix it- I would make Eleanor Hume the main character have it centered around her, and tone down on the "weeby" fashion around the game. I think Eleanor was one of the characters that I actually really enjoyed.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If there is one game I played last year that I was excited for and then crushingly disappointed when I finally played it, it has to be Dissidia NT. Fans have been asking for a console version of Dissidia since the first game and this title received a lot of hype, especially since a few characters fans had been asking for were confirmed for the title such as Ramza and Noctis. Initially the three party mechanics sounded intriguing but that was likely when people imagined it was going to work like KoF/Tekken Tag/ M vs.C but instead we got a watered down fighting game trying too hard to be like League of Legends and impress the EVO community.

The original Dissidia was never a conventional fighting game, nor a terribly great one, but the mechanics of that title were pretty interesting and I feel the game struck a real nice middle ground on transforming an RPG series known for visual spectacle into a flashy and simple Fighting Game RPG. NT is just kind of not fun. The team mechanics makes fights too hectic and hard to follow, the new customization mechanics feel too streamlined and shallow compared to the more robust one from the PSP ones, the removal of EX mode and EX Burst attacks was never well received, and despite adding in a few fan favorites, the roster also removed a few others like Tifa, Laguna, and Gabranth. The game basically went in a very different direction to try and capture a trend and instead, alienated the fanbase they had. I honestly don't know too many people who loved the original games who also like Dissidia NT.

So how to fix this debacle? Well the smartass answer would be to just pick up Dissidia Opera Omnia which is basically 3D Record Keeper with a better version of NT's plot. What I would do is this:

I would make a direct sequel to the handheld entries, maybe stick it into one of the earlier cycles because frankly Cosmos/Chaos are far better characters than their dollar store counterparts in NT.

I would restore the original gameplay design because it was far better received. Though I would make a few changes such as making medium and heavy magic attacks non-deflective for dash attacks and heavy magic can be neutralized but not deflected back by blocking just like melee. I'd probably change the equipment mechanics a round as well. I like the balance Duedecim brought to some of the gear but I didn't like the new level tier system it introduced because it was far too broad. Categorizing gear into groups of tens makes more sense than the four tier system in that game. I would probably rework Assists as well and likely add in a few special assist characters similar to Aerith where they're not fully playable but still contributing.

I'd add in more summons as well with representatives from more games like Garuda from FFXI, Byrnhilda from XIII, and I would honestly make Biggs and Wedge into a summon as well cause why not?

I would honestly keep the new maps added in from NT as most of them are good choices with one exception, I'd change the Narshe Outskirts from VI into the Opera House stage as I feel it's more iconic. I'd probably add FFXIII's starting Zone, FFV's Sealed Temple, and the Tornado castle from FFII as well, so all of the worlds will have at least two representative stages with the exception of the new characters.

I'd add back all of the PSP Dissidia alumni back onto the roster, but I would incorporate all of the new characters added from NT. In addition, I would add one new character for each game that wouldn't have three representatives with the exception of the new game characters who would have one addition.

My Choices:
    FF - Princess Sarah
    FII - Minwu
    FFIII - Doga or Aria
    FFIX - Vivi
    FFXIII - Snow and Yaag Rosch
    FFXIV - Not familiar enough to know a meaningful character.
    FFXV - Likely Ardyn
    FFTactics - Delita Hyral
    FFType-0 - Rem

I would also add a few new characters as DLC especially from spin-offs:
    FFIV - Rydia
    FFV - Faris
    FFVI - Celes
    FFVII - Reno
    FFVIII - Seifer
    FFIX - Beatrix
    FFX - Auron
    FFXII - Ashe
    FFXII - Fang
    FFTactics Advance - Ritz or Ezel
    FFMystic Quest - Benjamin
    FF Crisis Core - Zack Fair
    FFIV:TAY - Ceodore Harvey
    FFX-2 - Paine
    FFXIII-2 - Caius
    FF Record Keeper - Tyro
    FF Crystal Chronicles - Alhanalem
    World of Final Fantasy - Lann and Reynn as Chibi characters stacked together with one of the other companions.

I'll think of other things to add later.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well outside of the obvious flaw which is the music (mercifully fixed by a fan mod in the PC version), DQXI just feels very cramped. At every step I am reminded that I am not exploring a world but a set of corridors (albeit robust enough to get lost in) connected to each other. There’s this feeling of artificiality that I feel wouldn’t have been there in the classic mode on the 3DS (ironically). Awesome graphics came at the cost of taking away that feeling of freedom and adventure that VIII effortlessly captures. What I would do to fix this easily would be to replace the area maps you get for the field sub areas with just a world map you can zoom into - that way it still plays the same, but I feel the illusion would have been much better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    FFIV - Rydia
    Same. Would've made Yuna an X-2 Gunner so Rydia and Garnet/ Dagger would've had the chance. but NOPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    FFXIII - Snow

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's an idea I've been musing over since watching a video on speculation about what Persona 6 could be like, especially with considering what if the central color of the game was green this time and thinking of themes associated with that color - namely nature/nurture, greenery - and to me it's almost like a natural evolution of the general gameplay narrative of Persona to the point where I'd be delighted to see the series going in this general direction.

See current Persona generally have social links (or confidants) working the same way every time; you have a wide selection of people, and whenever you feel like it and your schedule allows it, you can opt to seek them out and level up your relationship with them. And while there are days and periods where they are not available, when it comes to the link itself, you are essentially "the center of the universe". Since after P3 they don't even get mad anymore when you leave them hanging for months, and your relationship can just continue right where you left off. It almost feels comical when you get your "you've forged a bond that can never be broken!" after you've met them for the first time in weeks while you basically ignored them the whole time to hang out with other people you barely know.

I'd love to see a Persona game delving into how... ludicrous this really is at the base, and theme it around the message of relationships like the social links of earlier games being empty and overall non-functional ways of handling closer relationships, with new social links requiring active and more constant time investment into keeping up, and your social links not just being like 'live and let live' but also having an investment in doing things together with you, and if you refuse to nurture the relationship... it dies down and you return to / settle into just being acquaintances. And you could make some pretty powerful statements and even have the antagonist or something be someone who treats their own 'social links' the way the previous protagonists do and use that to point out the flaws in it.

I feel like it'd be a great way to kinda look back at the series in a meta way and take what I consider to be the logical next step. Not too sure how to make it so it plays as well as Persona 5's streamlined confidant system does, and yes, if handled poorly this could easily make the game overall a chore to play, but I trust Atlus enough to be able to make something good with it ^^