Thread: Music Reseach Query

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

*yawn* Music Reseach Query

So I'm working on a writing project with a slick new character I'm excited about. One of the quirks she possesses is almost a snobbish love of music, I've even been making her "playlist" she will use for the story and while I feel I have all the pieces needed for the project, it's been fun just exploring different bands and artists both old and new.

So for our female members, I was wondering if you would mind sharing some of the music you listen to. My character is like sixteen but the story will end when she's in her mid-twenties, so what music do you listen to? For the guys, don't feel left out and share some of the music you listened to at that age or still listen to. Her tastes are eclectic and she even listens to foreign music.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That could work, I already have her listening to Chopin.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Well if she's snobbish my input wont count. I like trash pop music, trash rap music, trash edm music, trash rock music.

Pretty much all the popular crap.

You want to represent a real 16 year old at the moment, have her be obsessed with kpop boy bands. It's all the rage with the youngins

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Well if she's snobbish my input wont count. I like trash pop music, trash rap music, trash edm music, trash rock music.

Pretty much all the popular crap.

You want to represent a real 16 year old at the moment, have her be obsessed with kpop boy bands. It's all the rage with the youngins
    More like she's snobbish in the fact she has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the music industry and likes everything. She like pop from over the last fifty years, most genres, and even foreign bands. She would probably tell you she likes your trash band,. but then start talking about their first album which was likely a limited release in their state/city/country of origin that only die hard fans would know but say it so casually because she's too dense to realize most people don't give a crap about that kind of stuff. She doesn't quite lord her knowledge of music over people, as much as she could probably walk into a used record store and school the snobby sales clerk about most bands.

You should check out the prog genre because it's pretty obscure today and a lot fans could be considered to be pretty elitist "this is real music" types (I count myself among them). There's a lot of diversity and a ton of different influences like jazz, classical, blues-based rock etc. Some of it is also highly challenging and a lot of people would probably hate it.