Thread: Oldest multiplayer game you still play

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Oldest multiplayer game you still play

To this day I still play the first Halo multiplayer on PC. Off and on since I guess 2003 when it came out.

I just played it for the first time in a while and a whole bunch of memories came flooding back. My "peak year" was 2011, where I logged in daily and made lasting friendships.

I thought it was gonna be over when GameSpy stopped running the servers but further patches have been released so the community can still keep playing. At any given hour there's only about 30 people playing, so the community is small but dedicated. It has a nice small group feel like EoFF, but with more rotating names.

Also, this was the only game I played where I heavily used Xfire before that service shut down, as well. I miss that website.

What old multiplayer games do you still play, and how big is the audience? Or what game would you play had the servers not shut down?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Maybe very rarely, Halo reach and Wars. Unfortunately their communities are extremely small now and Reach has lost all the good game modes

I still play Lord of the Rings Online when I can. It can be pretty frustrating though since it crashes after ten minutes or so. And the frame rates have dropped terribly in the later expansions which can be rough too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Warcraft III

Seriously a game of infinite possibilities.

This thread could use some clarification. Do you mean only online multiplayer games, games that have to be played with multiple players, or simply games that can be played as multiplayer games? If it's the last one, does it count as still playing it if you play by yourself? I mean I still play games like Secret of Mana and even, rarely, Super Mario Bros. Those are multiplayer games that I'm playing by myself. It seems to me you really mean online multiplayer or maybe MMO though? Those I don't play at all. Never really have.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Final Fantasy XI.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I guess CS despite not being that old. I'm sure I've had a go at some older Halo games recently too

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Warcraft III

Seriously a game of infinite possibilities.
    Seriously a game of me infinitely hating orc players and their damn bladmasters. I just want to gather resources, yo. T _T

But, uh . . . Dungeon Defenders, maybe? That game is still in my top 5 multiplayer games of all time, and it just got an update, which is all kinds of awesome. I also try to play Liero online from time to time, because that game is amazing, but I never find people online anymore.

On a huge diablo 2 tear atm. 1998 is pretty old right? Servers still going bahahaha

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

A bit late to this thread, but Age of Empires II (HD Edition on Steam) and Worms Revolution are probably the oldest games I've played with friends in the past year.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

If there was still a way to play the original Heroes of Might and Magic 3 multiplayer I'd consider trying that, but those games run for a long time and I'm not sure if there's a way to save progress with online multiplayer. I'm not a big online multiplayer person - more of a local co-op person - I still play Super Mario World co-op.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I see my friends from college, we do like to play Mario Kart 64 a good amount. I’ll also do Mario 3, Mario World, and Donkey Kong Country multiplayer every once in a while. I also sometimes try getting on to World of Warcraft, but I get bored of it pretty quickly.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Donkey Kong Country multiplayer
    Minecart carnage forever. I have a lot of fond memories with friends and family playing that game and specifically this level.

After so many years away I finally played again on the SNES classic and to my surprise my hands instinctively remembered when to jump. Kind of like riding a bicycle.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was the same for me when I played DKC on the snes classic. I played it with my groomsmen the day before my wedding, and they thought I had cheated when I hit that barrel at the beginning of the level that skips most of the level, but I turned around and played through it again when it was my turn without any issues,

I spent way too many hours as a kid playing Minecart carnage to not have it memorized now.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    they thought I had cheated when I hit that barrel at the beginning of the level that skips most of the level
    I feel like most people find that by accident lol

"Whoops I didn't stick the landing but it worked out anyway"