Thread: Tokyo RPG Factory announces Oninaki

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool Tokyo RPG Factory announces Oninaki

At the recent Nintendo Direct, Tokyo RPG Factory showed off the first trailer for their next title, Oninaki. The story is about a man named Kagachi who is one of the Watchers. The Watchers are a spiritual organization who can transfer into the spirit realm to battle daemons and help the Lost, who are ghost unable to move on from the living world and reincarnate.

Unlike the studios previous efforts, this game is planned to be an Action RPG utilizing a job class like mechanic that sounds a bit similar to X-2's on the fly change up. Also new this time around is that Takashi Tokita, an old school designer of FFIV, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy Dimensions has been brought onto the team to work as a creative producer. The team describes the game as a "scenario Action RPG" as they promise the game will be far more story heavy than usual ARPGs.

While the game was shown for a Switch release this year, it will also be coming to PlayStation 4 and PC as well this summer.

Source: Siliconera

Interesting that they directly address my main issue with ARPGs. That said, Tokyo RPG Factory seem to have fairly barebones stories anyway, so I wouldn't necessarily assume this is anything special.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

You had me at switching jobs on the fly.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

The art and the story sound interesting to me, but I'm always apprehensive about battle systems with the top down, stick figure-esque perspective. I like it with a good strategy RPG but an action game with that same style can be hit or miss for me.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bumping this for relevance.

The game will be released on August 22 of this year in Japan, and "Summer 2019" in the west with the Steam release being a tad bit after that for some reason.

They released a new trailer a few weeks back showing off the various weapons Kagachi wields which are all possessed by the spirit of a warrior that Kagachi can summon for special attacks. Here;s five of the weapons:

Likewise, the developers were at E3 showing off the game and did an interview where they revealed that there are more than ten different weapons in the game, but were pretty coy about what they were.