Thread: Excalibur II

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Excalibur II

Did you ever try to get to the end of the game in less than 12 hours just for this weapon?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, I never have. I never really could wrap my brain around the idea of rushing through a game to get a reward. I feel the only game that ever did it right was probably Metroid.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I heard it’s not even possible in the PAL version, due to the lower refresh rate

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    No, I never have. I never really could wrap my brain around the idea of rushing through a game to get a reward.
    Yeah, Wolf sums it up basically. It's stupid to try and rush through a game just to get a sword. Though I'm sure there are some speedrunners out there that adore this, so I don't really hate the idea.

Never even attempted it. It's just absolutely crazy to me and would ruin the experience of the game. For what? Bragging rights? It's pretty easy to do max damage with Steiner anyway and I doubt a more powerful weapon at the expense of less leveling would make him better.

The only speed run for reward thing I ever did was the Clive quest in Suikoden II and even though that makes you rush far more than I like, it's much more forgiving than Excalibur 2 and actually gives a plot reward instead of just a stupid weapon with a bad name.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I heard it’s not even possible in the PAL version, due to the lower refresh rate
    Yeah, something about it being 5/6 the speed so to get the sword you'd have to beat the game in 10 hours instead.

This type of thing would seem to work better with a style like Chrono Cross where you can use super speed in New Game +.

Also New Game+ would allow you to already have everything else. Excalibur II basically makes a completionist run impossible.

Yes I have gotten the Excalibur II once before, I actually posted like 4 pages long journal thread on these very forums and it was a fun experience even if somewhat irritating at times. However I have finished the game at least 10 times with Ozma, all chocographs and stuff too before, so it was a new experience for me.

Also yes, PAL version makes getting Excalibur II harder, but impossible? Not at all.

And in the NTSC version, with skipping FMVs it is actually possible to get perfect save file as well.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ergroilnin View Post
    And in the NTSC version, with skipping FMVs it is actually possible to get perfect save file as well.
    I was reading about this. Something about how if you're playing on a PS1, the in game timer stops if you open the lid while a movie is playing.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It’s possible I would have tried for it if there was a new game + mode. As it is, I really enjoy just slowly going through the world of FFIX and could never bring myself to rush through the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    It’s possible I would have tried for it if there was a new game + mode. As it is, I really enjoy just slowly going through the world of FFIX and could never bring myself to rush through the game.
    Even though I finished the FFIX so many times, I still do not grow tired of it every time I occasionally replay it so I totally get your point. That is precisely why if you search back my post history and look up my FFIX challenge journal, you'll discover that I had two simultaneous playthroughs, one rushed for the Excalibur II but second one just lvl 1 challenge, where I took my time with everything, so I did not feel like I was actually missing anything by rushing through the game on one of the save files.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    No, I never have. I never really could wrap my brain around the idea of rushing through a game to get a reward. I feel the only game that ever did it right was probably Metroid.
    I agree with this. For me personally taking my time and enjoying a FF title is important. They are not games I feel like I ever want to rush through. Same with Zelda games.. which is why I could never get into Majora's Mask.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I cheated to get it and dun really find it special or anything.

Not worth the effort, pragmatic wise.