Thread: Least Favorite Worlds

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moogle Least Favorite Worlds

Same as the other thread, what are five worlds you hope you never have to go to again and always dread? Which installment has the worst selection of worlds for you?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wonderland and Deep Jungle. The first one isn’t that bad on its own but it’s way too frequent and at this point I’m just tired, while Deep Jungle just involved waaaay too much retreading. Needless to say, I think the first game has the worst works selection, especially at the start. I would say coded, since it has all of six worlds in total, all of which are completely lifted from other games, but they each have some sort of gameplay gimmick that makes them stand out.

Tarzan World
    Lion King World
    Tron World
    Monstro
    Big Hero 6 World (I haven't played KH3, but this should be St Canard instead, so it automatically becomes the worst of the worst worlds).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Least favorite Worlds:

Monstro (KH1)
    Atlantica (KH1)
    Neverland (KH1)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (KHII)
    The Lion King

I don't feel there has a been an entry I've played where I hated a majority of the worlds. Even clunky KH1 had more good than bad, though I do feel the overuse of some places, namely Agrabah, Hercules world, and even my beloved Halloween Town does make my eyes roll a bit. With that said, the game that actually has my least favorite set of worlds is probably KHIII, since only two of the new film worlds I actually liked, whereas I'm really lukewarm for most of the worlds. Granted, that might change once I play it because even though I don't like Toy Story, what I've seen of the world's design is actually pretty impressive an looks fun, so I may change my mind once I've played the world's much like BbS.

Maybe it's been too long, but I don't know what all the hate is about for Atlantica in KH1. Ursula was a painful boss fight, but other than that I seem to remember liking Atlantica better than most. If the hate were directed at KH2 Atlantica I would get it more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The controls weren’t really geared towards that kind of verticality. As a result, you couldn’t use a lot of your cool abilities while in Atlantica, including basic stuff like Dodge Roll, so it’s no wonder people don’t like it - you’re gimped whole also having to learn a completely new set of controls.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What Fynn said. You basically lose all of your physical combat skills in this world, and unlike Neverland with the flight controls, most of the areas you fight are large, forcing you to chase down opponents and needing to be far more concerned with your surrounding. The cherry on top is that the group ability Dolphin Kick uses a similar control setup as the one you need to control Sora's vertical movement, so in the heat of a battle you could find yourself wanting to ascend higher to attack an opponent (like Ursula) and instead just zip past the whole battlefield because you hit the wrong order of commands because you're being more frantic and twitchy in combat like you should. The fact the Ursula fight needs this move so you can dodge her attacks and try to get behind her head, just makes that fight more frustrating than it should be.

Honestly I never understood the hate for Monstro and Wonderland. The only worlds I dislike are Atlantica because underwater levels in general suck, Agrabah and Olympia (or anything else Hercules related) because I'm sick of seeing them in every game.