Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popular game series you never played or were late to

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Popular game series you never played or were late to

While I had always been aware of it culturally, my first Resident Evil was 7: Biohazard.

I've never played an Assassin's Creed or Far Cry game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well there’s tons, but if you only count those that I really want to get into at one point but still haven’t had the chance, then Dark Souls and the Legend of Heroes series are top picks.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was very late to the Dark Souls train, finally jumping in around the time the final installment came out.

For series I've been meaning to jump into, probably Legend of Heroes and VNs.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

None that are really popular (or were popular when I got into them), but Yakuza took me a while, got into that with Yakuza 4.

There's also SaGa, which I kind of want to try but haven't yet (apart from like 30 minutes of Unlimited SaGa when it came with some FFX thing)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post

There's also SaGa, which I kind of want to try but haven't yet (apart from like 30 minutes of Unlimited SaGa when it came with some FFX thing)
    If you want to venture into SaGa, I'd start with either Romancing SaGa 2 or one of the SaGa Frontier titles. The first one introduces most of the series gameplay features in a sensible way before they became legacy elements while also being simple enough to easily jump in, whereas the Frontier series tends to be a bit more story-centric than the rest of the franchise which is a nice jumping in point for people who love RPGs more for plot and characters.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Also going to say Legend of Heroes. I'm love Falcom and Ys, but never got around to picking up the Legend of Heroes series. And Yakuza and Bayonetta.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I want to get into Ys proper. Ys VIII was smurfing glorious, and I have like seven games before that to catch up on. There's a lot of popular game series I never played but have no real interest in either, there'd be too many to count. But Ys is a series I'm genuinely interested in getting deep into.

Glad to see so many Legend of Heroes picks =P

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Persona.

I have like zero interest in the series but everyone adores it.

There are lots of popular series I've never played. Most of them I reckon. Most of them are also ones I have no interest in or only bare knowledge of their existence. As far as ones I've been late too... aside from things like FF, Zelda, Mario, and such, I figure I've also been late to many or most series I'm into. Am I late to Persona because I started with P3 FES or is that pretty normal. Probably late to God of War, because I only played the last entry. I was late to Katamari. People had already gotten tired of the lackluster sequels by the time I played the first one. I could probably go on and on with this topic.

A lot, since I never owned a Playstation system (though i did play some PS2 games back in the day including the first KH). Metal Gear and Persona are probably the biggest franchises that I was late too but am a fan of now, also Legend of Heroes and Metroid (I had Fusion but the cart was broken).

I still need to play DQ4 at some point as well.

Also can't forget Touhou, I was sort of aware of the franchise for a long time but never played a game until last year.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

One I didn't necessarily get into late, nor never played, but certainly falls into the category of, "I got on the train, and at the first stop I got off real fast to pick up a snack. When I returned, the train had left me behind and I never caught up again" would be Pokemon. Played first gen when it came out, loved it, and... never played another entry until maybe a few years ago when the Pokemon GO craze inspired me to check the series out again, and then I quickly moved onto something else.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh yeah, I was super late to DQ too. Now it’s ons of my all time favs

Never played a Donkey Kong game apart from the arcade original. Should really get on that.

I've never played any of the previous titles mentioned in this thread, nor do I tend to play most mainstream games. In the rare event that I do it's usually years after they've come out as it's the only way I could afford them since both the game and the system would be significantly cheaper by that point. For reference I was playing used Final Fantasy PSX titles on a used PS2 after the PS3 had already come out. It's kind of why I tend to stick to PC indie titles these days as I don't have to keep getting new hardware and the games are usually pretty cheap to start with (and Steam has great sales around Christmas).

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I was very late to the Dark Souls train, finally jumping in around the time the final installment came out.

For series I've been meaning to jump into, probably Legend of Heroes and VNs.
    If you need VN recommendations I'd be happy to give you some. There's always the popular stuff like Stein's Gate, but I tend to prefer more niche titles myself. I've actually made some recommendation posts on these forums already:

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread....80#post3692780

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/171489-The-Thread-of-Free-Video-Games?p=3685601&viewfull=1#post3685601

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread....39#post3693239
    Last edited by Sarisa; 03-08-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Kingdom Hearts.

Tried to get into the original Kingdom Hearts about 7 times. Gave up every time because I just got bored or had other games I was more interested in. During my winter break in December of 2018, I ended up binging KH1 and KH2 back to back. Got 100% in both titles just in time to play KH3 on release.

Pull my Devil Trigger!