Thread: Complacent Gaming Syndrome

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Complacent Gaming Syndrome

Do you like to experiment with all the options a game hands you, or do you find one method that works for you and just rinse and repeat until the credits roll? For RPGs do you just spam a simple melee/heal combo; in fighting games do you always choose the same character; in FPS do you specialize in only one weapon type and only play on the same map; or do you actually mix it up and use all the tools available to you?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

In games that let you choose multiple ways to get through a level, like how Deus Ex has stealth or gunning everyone down, I always go in guns-a-blazing. I never make my way through a level using ceiling vents. Only when I want to hide and recover.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I always experiment at the start. Before long I've just switched to using my favorite character(s). Like I'm playing Tales of Xillia right now and I'm playing as Leia and have Milla, Jude, and Elize. Same with fighting games, I play around with everyone until I find the one that clicks. And in shooty games, I'm very complacent. I'll go after the shotgun or SMG type weapons.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    Like I'm playing Tales of Xillia right now and I'm playing as Leia and have Milla, Jude, and Elize.
    This is one of my favorite Tales games. Love the duo main character paths to choose from.

Did you pick Jude or Milla?

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

For a lot of games (RPGs in particular) it depends on how much I enjoy the gameplay systems. If I'm not a fan of a lot of the gameplay aspects, I'll just stick to what works.

In shooters I tend to try out all the weapons, but I do gravitate towards the slower, hard-hitting accurate weapons (snipers, revolvers etc), I'm a "headshot from a distance" kind of guy.

In games that offer stealth, I stubbornly stick to stealth as much as possible. Uncharted games I stealth kill as many enemies as I can before the inevitable shootout. Dishonored/Deus Ex and such, I 100% stealth all the way, saving/reloading frequently. Far Cry, Tomb Raider and other shooters with silenced weapons, I always use silenced weapons to pick enemies off one by one.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    Like I'm playing Tales of Xillia right now and I'm playing as Leia and have Milla, Jude, and Elize.
    This is one of my favorite Tales games. Love the duo main character paths to choose from.

Did you pick Jude or Milla?
    I picked Milla.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I usually start out experimenting, then just stick to what works. Honestly, I even get annoyed when a game forces me to change my setup later.