Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Popular series you’ve been with since the very start

This is a kind of sister thread to LWL’s latecomer thread. What long-running video game series have you been into since it’s very beginning and are still a fan? Series that you’ve gotten into late and then played them all don’t count - we’re talking strictly series where you have been there since the very start, if not playing every game then at least following what was going on while you couldn’t play it for one reason or another.

For me, that’s pretty much Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, and the Sims. Even if I miss an entry, I still keep up with the online community, but it’s always a shame when I have to resort to that since I’ve been with them since the start and am super invested in all three. FF actually doesn’t count for me since I haven’t actually started playing the games until I think IX was out?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kingdom Hearts, technically Persona since I started with the second game but owned the first as well at the time. Xenosaga is another. Technically Metal Gear though I had kind of forgotten about the NES entries and didn't own them until years later despite renting them a few times as a kid.

Though not technically from the beginning, in the grand scheme of things, I got in early enough with Final Fantasy that I would count it since I was a fan before VII was released and made the series a household name. Also, despite not playing every entry yet (missing a few handheld entries and the newest console release) I've kept up with The Legend of Zelda well enough that I would say I'm still "with it" so to speak.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and Tales. I started with Pokemon Red. And I've been playing Final Fantasy since the NES/SNes. Tales of Destiny II (Eternia) was my first there.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

What's the limitation in regards to when the series started/ended? Neptunia for example has only been around since the PS3, and Ar Tonelico/Nosurge hasn't seen a new entry in 4 years.

Anyway, dunno if I'd count Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon, I've played/paid attention to those series since the beginning (well, not counting DK and Mario's arcade releases) but not really a fan anymore.

I would count Legend of Heroes, since I've played those ever since I got access to them with the PSP releases of the Gagharv trilogy (before that the only English release was the very first game, only in NA and only on the TurboGrafx-CD)

I'll also count Mana/Seiken Densetsu, even though I didn't play the original (Final Fantasy Adventure) before Secret of Mana, since that was released only a year before Secret of Mana here.

Those slightly questionable cases aside, long-running franchises I've been with since their very first game and am still a fan of:

Zelda, Tales, Kingdom Hearts, Mega Man, Xeno(gears, saga, blade), Neptunia, Ar(Tonelico, Nosurge), Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, The Witcher (if that counts with its 3 games)

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon.... that’s probably it.

I keep wanting to count Metal Gear, but I started with Solid. There might be others, but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Pokemon, Sims, Dragon Age, Warcraft actually (Started with orcs and humans but really didn't care for it until Warcraft 2) Hmmmm I'll have to think more.

I'm counting FF because I started (but did not finish) the first game as a rental when I only bad an NES before getting a SNES and FFIV (which was also pretty early). Mario and Zelda I've also been with from the start. I'd say Mega Man too. I'd say Metroid but the original is actually the only one I've played. Dragon Quest might sort of count but honestly, I played the first game and then dodn't really get back into the series until DQVIII. Breath of Fire definitely counts for this, as I started on the SNES and went to PSX. Suikoden also definitely counts, even if it's a later series because I started with the first one before the second was released. Played through all five numbered entries and Tactics. Maybe thr last ones don't technically count because the series are dead but whatever.

Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy (although I haven't played or been interested in playing XV). A few more now-dead series that may have once held the title of "popular" but are no longer made. A few more that aren't popular enough to count.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Warcraft and Diablo series.

Actually I started both at 2 and ended at 3 because the rest of the games in the series are unbearable like an expired cup of milk mixed with Malboro's piss.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Mortal Kombat, Diablo, Fallout, Deus Ex, BioShock, Half-Life, Silent Hill.

Some younger or shorter series, if they count (and coincidentally aren't really "popular") - Dishonored, TWEWY.

There are a few series where I've played and loved the first game at release, but my feelings or investment for the series as whole have fluctuated over time. Resident Evil, SoulCalibur, and Dragon Age are the main ones that come to mind.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak