4 44.44%

Thread: EoFF Sidequest/Mini-game Contest 2019: Round 3

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moogle EoFF Sidequest/Mini-game Contest 2019: Round 3

Today's battle is a clash between two of the "devil's games". Do you prefer Dungeons & Dragons, or Children's Card games?

Dragon's Den: If you played the GBA version of FFVI and conquered the Eight Dragons, you unlock a chance to travel to their lair where you can face their true power and even a chance to face their leader, the legendary Kaiser Dragon. The Dragon's Den is another multi-party dungeon much like the Phoenix Cave and Kefka's Tower. Inside, you'll have rematches with all eight dragons with new powers and strategies. Course, the prize for victory are new ultimate weapons and armor for your whole party, and the chance to acquire the legendary Diablo Magicite and even a chance to face off with a new incarnation of Ultima Weapon.

vs.

Tetra Master: After the success of VIII's foray into competitive card games, IX took a crack with more simplified rules, the ability to power up cards, and a less annoying theme song. You can challenge almost anyone in the world, several unique cards are attached to some of the more fun sidequests in the game, and if hate the Random rule, or just the Rule system in TT overall, you'll be happy to know you don't ever have to deal with them. Tetra Master holds to the spirit of the minigame as just a simple pass time and it's popularity has seen it appear in several later FFs for it's charm.

Tough one. I'm not really a fan of Tetra Master, but I haven't even played Dragon's Den and I'm usually not a fan of challenge dungeons. Might have to abstain on this one too.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Definitely Tetra Master. I actually prefer it over Triple Triad too.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never been in love with Tetra Master, it's meta game is so obfuscating that you might as well as just ignore it and the only thing that truly determines your ability to win is if you go last or not. Even then, it was just never really fun for me like a certain other card game.

Dragon's Den was a surprisingly good dungeon. I enjoyed both the fact that it made you utilize most of the cast to play through it, and they even added the ability to change out party members mid-dungeon as well. I loved the fact all of the Eight Dragon rematches are more puzzle based, and I liked the fact the dungeon was difficult enough to make exploiting VI's broken mechanics to it's fullest. The devs knew VI was unbalanced and this dungeon was pretty much designed to exploit this, so it was interesting getting into boss battles where using Quick and spamming all of the broken abilities was practically required to survive. I loved fighting the Fire Dragon who turned out to be an endurance match since he's invincible for the whole fight until he self-detonates so the strategy was just to keep at least one party member alive as he bombarded you with Ultima, Flare Star, and Meltdown. I also loved the Zombie Dragon who could only be permanently felled by depleting all his MP. It was actually a really clever designed dungeon. Bringing back Kaiser (Czar) Dragon who was dummied out of the original was a nice touch as well. Of the new optional dungeons added into the Advance ports of the SNES entries, Dragon's Den was by far my favorite and the one that really showcased all of the best elements of VI's gameplay.