Thread: Captain Marvel

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Captain Marvel

I've mentioned this off and on over the years but Carol Danvers is my favorite superhero. I was really excited for this when it was announced in 2014, been a fan from the earlier Ms.Marvel years even before that, so needless to say I went into this fully expecting to love it. Which I did.

Who else has seen the movie? What did you think?

Plug:

I never write movie reviews, but I felt compelled to write one for this movie. It contains spoilers, but I mostly just gushed and gave my thoughts instead of paying any thought to structure. If you've seen the movie, or just want to see why someone else digs it, give it a look.

https://nosleepnotever.wordpress.com...osleepnotever/

I know of Carol Danvers mostly through X-Men comics, which I used to collect, but it was enough to make me interested in this movie. Anyway, yeah, I saw it and liked it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’m probably seeing it this week or next if my wife and I can find time for it with out kind of weird schedules. I’m hoping this isn’t like when Black Panther came out; I have yet to see it because stuff kept coming up while it was in theaters that kept me from seeing it.

I’ve been glad to see my Facebook friends talking up the movie though. Sounds like I’ll enjoy it.

This movie looks boring as heck, which is sad because I recently enjoyed Black Panther and Wonder Woman last year. Going to give this one a pass and watch the animated Spiderman instead and Battle Angel.

I feel like it's supposed to cater towards me being a woman, but eh, it doesn't. I grew up with Ripley from Aliens and other strong female heroic characters and I feel like Disney and Marvel are acting like all females were weak till Cpt Marvel came along, which is a bit insulting.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Obviously Goose the cat was the star of the film.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I feel like it's supposed to cater towards me being a woman, but eh, it doesn't. I grew up with Ripley from Aliens and other strong female heroic characters and I feel like Disney and Marvel are acting like all females were weak till Cpt Marvel came along, which is a bit insulting.
    It's cool if you don't want to see it. To each their own. Spiderverse was dope, so was Alita.

From what I've gathered overwhelmingly it's not that those other characters were weak or didn't exist, it's just that this is the first female led movie in the MCU. Not only is it the highest grossing movie franchise in the world, but it has also had 20 consecutive movies before this one with male leads. Unless, of course, you want to count the Avengers movies as ensemble casts. People are justifiably excited about it.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

It was an enjoyable movie. My problem I think was the stakes.

so no one gets spoiled We know the guardians defeat Ronan, so he's not such a big bad with the Kree. We know what happens to the Tesseract so that's not like "oh what does that do". The Kree themselves haven't done anything to earth at least for what 30 years since this movie? So I dunno. The stakes didn't seem that dire.

I enjoyed the character herself, I think they could have learned in more toward her actual character but my problem was the stakes. I think it's the nature of it being a prequel and trying to fit into an already very extensive storyline. I still liked it and enjoyed it, I just think it could have been better.

That's a fair point, but really the stakes are pretty much illusory in any Marvel movie at least before Infinity War and arguably Infinity War as well, because we know a lot of that is surely going to get reversed in the next movie. Saying that there are no stakes because we know how it turns out in the future is a kind of metalogic argument that I don't see as substantially different from we know the superheroes are going to win because this movie is part of the Marvel franchise and they have to be around for the next movie. The stakes are plenty high in the context of the movie taken by itself.

(SPOILER)Moreover, you're just talking about the stakes for Earth. What about the stakes for the Skrulls? We haven't seen them in any other Marvel movie to date, so we can't know it turns out well for them on that basis. Again, saying the stakes are low here brings us back to the same metalogic as any Marvel movie. We know the movie probably won't end in genocide, because that wouldn't fit the Marvel brand. Other than that, there's nothing ahead of time to tell us the Kree didn't succeed in wiping out the Skrulls. So I'd say the stakes are considerably higher than most Marvel movies. The only way I agree in the stakes being low is by the end of the movie (though not throughout the movie as a whole) Captain Marvel so completely outclasses anyone she's fighting against that they can't really be considered a threat to her at all.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 03-16-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think for me as a viewer it messes up the big bad. Like yeah in all these movies the big bad is gonna get defeated but the way they present it is what's like "OMG" but because we already know most of everything with these big bads, that's why it's kind a meh for story for me for those. You have a point with (SPOILER) the skrull though I hadn't considered what happens there down the line or while we've been dealing with thanos and all that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I saw the movie now. I liked it a lot.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Also speaking of big bads

(SPOILER)I love that she Indiana Jones'd Jude Law's character lol

The general consensus seems to be that it was a decent movie but underwhelming?

I still haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, but I had that exact reaction after finishing Ant-Man and the Wasp. It was an enjoyable movie I guess, but it wasn't spectacular or anything.

I have slightly higher hopes and expectations for Captain Marvel, though.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought Captain Marvel was a very fun movie, and it never felt underwhelming to me. I guess I can see some people thinking that way since it kind of feels like jumping back to phase one in some ways, and Freya’s criticism is correct (though the stakes never bothered me while I watched it.)

I thought Ant Man and the Wasp was insanely fun and not underwhelming at all though, so my opinion probably doesn’t mean much for you there lol.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Saw this tonight, a pretty enjoyable movie, I think my favorite part was surprisingly the 90s nostalgia the film evokes and Nick Fury's relationship with Goose. I'm surprised there weren't more Top Gun references actually. I liked how it does tie into other Marvel films though. Overall, I found the film to be quite fun and a pretty good film for expanding the MCU world building.