8 100.00%

Thread: EoFF Sidequest/Mini-game Contest 2019: Round 5

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco EoFF Sidequest/Mini-game Contest 2019: Round 5

Round 5 begins, will a charming secret overtake a challenging diversion?

15 Puzzle: It may surprise some people to learn that all the way back in the very first Final Fantasy, there is a secret mini-game (FFII had one as well btw) that could be accessed once you obtained the ship and pressed A+B 55 times to unlock. You play this game, that involves trying to organize fifteen numbered blocks into their numerical order. In the original NES version, you simply got a 100 gil for winning but later installments would give you different prizes based on your time. This minigame has been kept in almost every version of the game.

vs.

Mark Hunts (FFXII): Inspired by XI's Notorious Monster system. Marks are special monsters the player can hunt on the side while traveling about Ivalice. While several marks simply appear to be palette swaps of regular fodder, but most Marks have unique abilities or fighting gimmicks that will often challenge the player to the fullest depending on when you bother to partake of the hunt. Marks even lead to most of the game's true superbosses like Pyrelaster, Yiazmat, and the Shadowseer. Of course what really makes Marks stand out are the ways many of them are woven into the background story of Ivalice like the Marks associated with the blood feud they have with Garif, or being petitioned by the dead of Bhujerba to hunt down a child eating demon, hell most of the Marks associated with the Viera village and Mt. Bur-Omisace are strongly tied to the story associated in those regions. So if you like challenging battles and optional content that expands the lore and narrative of the game, Marks may be for you.

I can't answer this one because I don't know about the puzzles and dislike the mark hunts (and the FFXII battle system in general).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

15 puzzle is cool but Mark Hunts are incredibly well designed in this game. Not in XIII though since that game completely missed what made them so great in the first place, i.e. the mini stories

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

The Hunts are fun. My favorite one was where you enter the boss room and there's this giant behemoth and it just falls over dead. And this tiny mandagora falls down. I think it was a hunt. It might have been related to an esper. Just to be safe my second favorite one was where you had to ride airships a lot and fight the hunt on the deck. It was a unique arena. And the quest giver was this rich kid who made a bet with his dad.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    15 puzzle is cool but Mark Hunts are incredibly well designed in this game. Not in XIII though since that game completely missed what made them so great in the first place, i.e. the mini stories
    would you say they missed the mark lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.