Thread: Anyone Ever Play Jeff Ludwigs Mod of Balance?

Default Anyone Ever Play Jeff Ludwigs Mod of Balance?

Hack for the GBA version of Final Fantasy 1&2? He made some great changes to the experience growth for weapons and magic in FF2. No matter what level your spell is; if casted in a battle with a rank 7 enemy it will gain some experience. He also re-tweaked the damage formula for weapons to make them have realistic attributes. In real life axes and polearms are stronger but less agile than swords so in his hack he made them that way. The improved spell growth is what made me really love the hack though.

Regardless I still play the Origins version because I appreciate the select/cancel trick as it makes the game flow better. I only select and cancel enough to get strong enough to survive fine without overpowering myself. Select and cancel makes attaining 16 level 16 spells and full list of level 16 weapon and shield skills soo much more tolerable and manageable.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Haven't done so I'm afraid. I'm usually too overloaded with games to come back to one with mods. With that said, I feel FFII's gameplay is one of the more underrated in the series, and I feel part of my enjoyment of the SaGa series in the last few years has been a result in seeing this gameplay grow and be refined into something pretty groovy. The mod sounds good though, as I feel the magic leveling has always been one of the rougher elements of the game that could stand improvement. Granted, some spells are ridiculously overpowered in this game once you get them past Lv. 10. I mean who would have thought one of the best spells in the game was the Toad/Frog spell?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

II think the PSP port actually did a good job of rebalancing the abilities so that now they just flow much better and grinding is pretty much not required at all. The mod does sound cool though. And I agree with WK that the system is underrated and as glad Kawazu could experiment with it further in SaGa

I head great things about the SaGa series from other people too. I don't have the console needed to play them sadly. I suppose I can emulate them(I hope it's ok to mention that here, oops.)

Wolf Kanno may I ask what anime the woman on your avatar and signature are from? She's beautiful maybe one of the best looking anime characters I've ever seen. I hope it's not a horror anime.. I can't stomach horror at least gory horror.

Oh and Flynn in what ways would you say the PSP remake improved on things?

Thanks for replying by the way you two.

It's been a while since I played the PSP version, but I know the Int-Spirit penalty from the original was removed, the game retargets normal attacks when an enemy dies, inventory space is unlimited (?), and general enemy strength has been toned down (or, conversely, player stat growth rate has been ticked up, not really sure which). It's also got a bonus dungeon with new ultimate spells and the Dawn of Souls storyline in it.