4 50.00%

Thread: EoFF Sidequest/Mini-game Contest 2019: Round 10

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco EoFF Sidequest/Mini-game Contest 2019: Round 10

We've got an old school brawl going on in this round.

Superbosses Omega and Shinryuu (FFV): While there have been several optional super powerful enemies and bosses before FFV, Omega and Shinryuu are probably the first ones designed around playing smart as opposed to just beating them by the level race. Omega will test a player on how well they know their skill sets and what jobs the player has spent time in. Most players know about the Duel-Wield/Rapid Fire/Thundaga Sword combo; but how many of you know that the Bard class has the power to cast Stop on it? Shinryuu on the other hand tests how well you know how to beat a boss by just coming in with the proper gear. Granted Dragoons and some Time Magic is super useful, but not as much as Coral Rings, Ice Shields and the Dragon Lance. Omega especially is worth mentioning as being one of the first true optional bosses in the fact that it's easy to find, completely optional, and doesn't really net you anything of value outside of a silly bragging rights reward. In many ways, FFV introduced the more modern idea of what an optional superboss is.

VS.

Rydia's Summon Acquisition Bonanza: If you play FFIV normally, Rydia will acquire only six summons through her journey. Yet she actually has fourteen summons you can acquire over the course of the journey by exploring the worlds thoroughly and maybe getting lucky with an abysmal drop rate or four. Odin, Asura, Leviathan, and Bahamut are all completely optional and semi-story based summons you can challenge to win the honor of using them in battle, and most players know these four are a godsend. The last four are normal monster summons that drop from various palette swaps of the class, and while many of them seem pointless, all four are actually pretty useful if you know where to use them and somehow get them early enough,

Rydia - Her summon quests are more story-based, I'm not a huge fan of "superbosses" anyway, and I also think FFV is easily the worst of the SNES FFs. The powerful summons of Leviathan and Bahamut are well worth the trouble and give you a clear sense of just why Zemus wanted to take out the summoners.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the Sylph are not mandatory and that I've even beaten the game without collecting them before.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Shinryu and omega are badass id be remiss not to vote for them!!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I gotta go with Shinryu and Omega. I personally blame Omega for my love of building broken characters. And she was the focus of the latest raid in XIV.

I'll go with the super bosses Shinryuu and Omega. They are from FFV one of my favorites games in the series. It's fun coming up with different strategies to defeat them too. Another way to defeat Omega if I remember correctly is to do the Quick cast trick with a party full equipped with Reflect Rings. Whole party reflected spells deal 2x the damage of a normal spell. A Mime with a Wizard Staff and Double Cast/Dimen 6/Black 6/ and full party wearing Reflect Rings, can cast multi reflected Thundaga>Quick>Thundaga>Thundaga>Thundaga>Thundaga for a lot of damage. Having the curser on memory helps to select fast enough to not get slaughtered.

Being a perfectionists that I am I can't stand acquiring all Rydia's summons. The main issue is the rare summon drops.. ugh. With a 5% chance of items even being dropped from any given enemy combined with the 1/64 chance to get the rarest drop it makes for a terrible grinding experience getting her obscure Bomb, Goblin, Coctrice, and Mindflayer summons. I've gotten them all once but it's not something I'd repeat.

I voted for getting Rydia's summons! Some of them have so great stories hehe

I think I've only ever gotten Goblin and Bomb for the random drop summons. Another annoying thing I recall (at least in the SNES version) if you use the item to teach her the summon as a kid, she won't have it when she returns.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post

By the way, I'm pretty sure the Sylph are not mandatory and that I've even beaten the game without collecting them before.
    Yeah, I think I was mixing it up with something else from another game of the era. Fixed in the opening post.

The rare drop summons are the worst, especially Mindflayer because they're uncommon enemy encounters to begin with, so getting that drop on the first attempt in the Dark Elf Cave is a nightmare. I think in the DS version, I actually got most of the team to lv. 70 in the time it took me to get that item to drop.