Thread: Japan Vs. The World

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question Japan Vs. The World

It's nice to think about how much game development has expanded over the course of it's brief history. As it stands, you can find developers from all around the world. Yet as someone who grew up with gaming in the late 80s and most of the 90s, I tend to have a soft spot for Japanese developers in particular. Course, that's just one perspective and I've been gaming ever since, often dabbling with developers from all around the world. My question here is, do you still feel Japanese Developers are some of the best within the industry or do you feel their time has come and gone, and it's now the era of non-Japanese companies?

Japanese developers are absolutely among -- if not outright -- the best in the industry. You don't even have to look at history; all you have to do is look at the critical reception of 2019's biggest AAA releases so far. These are the following critic averages according to OpenCritic.

- Resident Evil 2: 92
    - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: 91
    - Devil May Cry 5: 88

The three best reviewed AAA games of 2019 are all developed by Japanese developers. Capcom has been absolutely killing it over the past two years, and they're the frontrunners for Developer of the Year with two very well-received titles in 2019. FromSoftware, another Japanese developer, has also produced a game that's already in the conversation for Game of the Year. Even Kingdom Hearts III has great critical reception, sitting at an average of 85 on OpenCritic.

Japanese developers have always been great in my eyes. 2019, so far, is no exception.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yes, Japanese developers are still among the very best in the world. There's still one or two that have gone astray (yes Konami I mean you) but it's not like you can't say that about western devs either.

Yea Japanese everything is better because there are no Americans ruining things.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Japanese developers are absolutely among -- if not outright -- the best in the industry. You don't even have to look at history; all you have to do is look at the critical reception of 2019's biggest AAA releases so far. These are the following critic averages according to OpenCritic.

- Resident Evil 2: 92
    - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: 91
    - Devil May Cry 5: 88

The three best reviewed AAA games of 2019 are all developed by Japanese developers. Capcom has been absolutely killing it over the past two years, and they're the frontrunners for Developer of the Year with two very well-received titles in 2019. FromSoftware, another Japanese developer, has also produced a game that's already in the conversation for Game of the Year. Even Kingdom Hearts III has great critical reception, sitting at an average of 85 on OpenCritic.

Japanese developers have always been great in my eyes. 2019, so far, is no exception.
    Wow, that's nice to hear. I'm so excited to see what we gonna get in 2020