Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel that FFX-2 is bad and ruined FFX.

Default I feel that FFX-2 is bad and ruined FFX.

Yes I am one of 'those' people. I used to love FFX it was a very magical, emotional, dramatic experience seeing the story unfold. The original FFX had a mystical and very fantasy like feel to it and had a lot of class. I enjoyed all the characters and their personalities, Yuna's purity, Tidus's struggle in accepting being stuck in another world and his dream existence, Lulu's stoicism etc. The tone of FFX was just right for a Final Fantasy game and it had everything one can expect from the franchise. Then Square had to ruin the image of that game with FFX-2. No Final Fantasy before had a teeny bopper pop idol atmoshere like that.. where did this idea come from? I know they were trying to express how Yuna let herself feel lighter and free of depression and sacrifical dread she carried formerly. However, they COULD have made a lighter toned existence for Yuna that wasn't so cheesy. Selphie was a positive outgoing girl but she carried herself in a more classy way and she still felt like a FF character at heart. FFX-2 doesn't have a Final Fantasy vibe, and it really shouldn't have been made as it turned out imho. The writers even made the girls weaker than a strong human in the real world could be. Remeber when Yuna was hanging off the ledge and not even Pain and Rikku could muster the strength to lift her up together. A mountan climber can easily get themselves out of that situation. All this tells me is that Y.R.P. are unsuitable to be heroes going around fighting giant mechas and beasts if they can't even do pull ups lol! Why make the girls so damn weak? How can I respect that? Then there is Pain's ridiculous fighting stance as a warrior class. Having her back turned against the enemy while dragging her sword on the ground edge facing down which would dull the blade.. really effective there Pain. Any HEMA practitioner would defeat her in a sword fight easily.

If the writers were aiming for a positive girl power thing then they really dropped the ball. Final Fantasy women that encompass courage and power to me are Terra Branford when she regains the strength to fight in the WoR.. I love Terra, Freya, Beatrix, Aerith fighting Meteor with Holy.. Aerith was an awesome FF girl, Faris, Lightning etc.

I wish they'd have made FFX-2 where Yuna was just a positive version of her FFX self. With Rikku as she was in FFX, and instead of Pain have a Freya like warrior. This plus not making the girls weaker than normal humans incapable of pull ups. Lastly, instead of pop songs like 1000 Words, a beautiful song that sounds like something from Sarah Brightman or Enya. That would have been a perfect sequel.
    Last edited by Sorceress Claire; 03-22-2019 at 05:17 AM.

It was a terrible cash-in spin-off that made caricatures of the characters in order to better peddle fan service to nerds. It's utterly cringe-worthy and made the few faps I had to this game totally cheap and shameful.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

>loves ff8
    >hates ff10

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I totally agree with you. No matter how much I try to complete it too when I replay FFX, I just can't. It feels like it's not even the same world or characters. Maybe it's because I enjoyed the origin FFX too much, but I still think that way :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva95 View Post
    I totally agree with you. No matter how much I try to complete it too when I replay FFX, I just can't. It feels like it's not even the same world or characters. Maybe it's because I enjoyed the origin FFX too much, but I still think that way :P
    Wow this is exactly how I feel. This may be the first time I've ever seen someone agree with me on this to this level.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    >loves ff8
    >hates ff10

lol

Here's why I don't think FFX-2 ruined FFX. I didn't play it. That was pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Here's why I don't think FFX-2 ruined FFX. I didn't play it. That was pretty easy.

Yeah, but it still doesn't change the fact that FFX-2 exists.

Doesn't really matter. I don't know too much about what happens and, even if I knew everything, I would just declare it all to be non-canon. I don't have to let something that was made after the fact ruin something that already existed complete and which I liked. I apply the same logic to the FF7 compilation. For the most part I don't know that much about them, because I haven't played any and only seen Advent Children. What I do know I declare non-canon, because I don't like what it does to FF7's story.

I need to learn how to think that way. I guess I can look at FFX-2 in a similar way as Chrono Cross. Chrono Cross is actually not a direct sequal to Chrono Trigger. If I remember correctly Chrono Cross takes place on a different dimensional axis than the dimension that Trigger took place in. So the exact Crono and friends that killed Lavos that us players got to know and love are not the ones refferred to in Chrono Cross. The Chrono Cross dimensions occur in dimensions 1 and 2, while the dimension Trigger takes place in is dimension 3 if I remember correctly.. so that means Crono and co are all perfectly fine still in dimension 3 and the 'Fall of Guardia' never occurred in D3. However D1&2 there was all that tragedy.

So I guess I can view X-2 the same way. The FFX that we play is on dimension 1 and the events of FFX-2 only occur in dimension 2. I could find myself getting into FFX again if I thought this way.

Thanks Golbez.

Another difference is that Chrono Cross is actually good.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Says the guy who did not play X-2. <_<

I can tell. I played like an hour of it. Also, this is a thread about how it ruined FFX, so I'm taking on faith that it's bad, which isn't hard because it seems terrible.

FFXIV Character

Seren Sabouk (Malboro)

I am of the camp of people who eventually learned to enjoy X-2 using the skill called "being comfortable with cognitive dissonance"

Was FFX amazing?
    >Yes

Is X-2 an embarrassment?
    >Yes

Is X-2 pretty fun to play every now and then?
    >Yes

Oh

In short, Tidus is still gone and Yuna never became a singing sensation, that was all a thought experiment/bad acid trip/coma dream
    Chief Tobli hash gone ballishtic?

It was the first sign of SE selling out, things only got worse with the FF7 compilation. It seems like when Sakaguchi left he took all artistic integrity with him.