Thread: Devil May Cry 5 | Official Thread

Default Devil May Cry 5 | Official Thread

Developer: Capcom
    Platforms: PC, PS4, Xbox One
    Release Date: March 8, 2019
    Review Score: 88 (OpenCritic)

Devil May Cry 5 is the newest entry in the Devil May Cry series. Eleven years after the release of Devil May Cry 4, Capcom has resurrected the action-adventure, hack-and-slash video game series to critical and commercial acclaim.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a few weeks since Capcom has released Devil May Cry 5 and not only has it been a critical success, but Capcom has also announced that the title is the fastest selling entry in the series with over two million units sold so far. What are your thoughts on DMC5? Is Capcom the best developer in the industry right now?

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm happy to see Capcom returning to the main series. Not that I have personal issues with DmC like so much of the fanbase, but I never felt like the series really needed a reboot like say Resident Evil does. It may be quite awhile before I tackle this game though. I still haven't really cut my teeth much on DMC4 though I've owned it for years, but watching a friend of mine play parts of it showed it had some problems which is why it has remained in backlog hell for me. Still, I would prefer to be caught up on the lore before taking on the new installment.

As for Capcom's status, eh... Capcom is doing what it always does, spending a few years hitting home runs, before their business models screw everything up and everyone hates them again, before they resurrect themselves again by hitting a series of home runs. Still love the company, but having been part of their history since the NES days, it's not hard to see this pattern is a thing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Still, I would prefer to be caught up on the lore before taking on the new installment.
    DMC5 is actually pretty accessible for newcomers to the series. There's a History of DMC selection in the main menu that basically goes through the entire story of all the Devil May Cry games. Even without watching that video, the game itself isn't overly bogged down by lore or background details. I've only played DMC4 and I was able to follow along with the story and characters.

As for Capcom's status, eh... Capcom is doing what it always does, spending a few years hitting home runs, before their business models screw everything up and everyone hates them again, before they resurrect themselves again by hitting a series of home runs. Still love the company, but having been part of their history since the NES days, it's not hard to see this pattern is a thing for them.
    Fairly pessimistic response and perspective on Capcom, which is pretty disappointing to read. My question in the OP was meant to engage with Capcom's recent success.

Dating back to 2017 they've had a number of critically and commercially successful games including Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter World, Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, Mega Man 11, Resident Evil 2 remake, and Devil May Cry 5. I would argue that the fact that they've consecutively released quality titles, and reviving two series long thought to be dead including Devil May Cry and Mega Man, easily puts Capcom among the best developers in the industry right now. DMC5 in particular was game made for longstanding fans of the franchise, who might have been jaded by Ninja Theory's handling of the DmC reboot or lost faith in the series ever making a comeback over the 11 years since DMC4 released.

Capcom's business models aren't "screwing anything up" either. In fact, they're actually one of the bright spots of the gaming industry right now. They've been releasing tons of free DLC expansions for each of their games, including The Ghost Survivors for RE2, over a years' worth of free content for Monster Hunter World, and the upcoming Bloody Palace update for DMC5.

Capcom is back.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As I said in my post though, when you've watched this company for almost 30 years and notice a trend for them, I wouldn't say it's being pessimistic as much as just being realistic. I've been there for their many highs and many lows. I would definitely agree they're on a good note at the moment objectively, but I also feel that really comes down to which games you like from them. Don't get me wrong, I love Capcom and I agree they're one of the better companies in Japan, but I don't consider them consistently good.

SFV was definitely not a high for them and that game is only now starting to be seen as a bit more respectable after a really troubled debut among the fanbase that's taken almost three years to rectify. A lackluster roster, spotty online servers, and lack of single player content were pretty big criticisms against the game that have only been really fixed and they still had to resort to releasing a new version of the game to address some of these issues which was a gripe against SFIV and MvC3.. Granted, trying to please the SF fanbase is a task I doubt any fighting game developer could handle. Course I felt it was a step in the right direction for the series after the regressive SFIV. Personally, I would be happy if they could fix the Capcom Vs. games; and overall, Capcom's fighting game division still has some room to improve. As for RE2R, while I am happy for the fans, especially since a large consensus of them say it's the best one, RE has never been a franchise I could get into. MM11 was a nice turn, but I know a lot of the community is still salty about Legends 3.

Personally, Capcom would be back in my good graces if they decided to make a real non-mobile sequel to Breath of Fire. That or return to their sprite based artwork style for some of their game series *cough* Their fighting game series*cough* cause Capcom was easily the best in the business and I feel those games are faster and more fluid than the 3D art ones are.

**************************************************************************************************** *****
    On the actual topic of DMC5, I'll check it out, but I should really play and finish DMC4 if only to be able to appreciate Nero's combat development in the new entry. Besides, while I enjoyed the Devil Arm, I never got a chance to really dive into it like I should. I think I only made it to the fifth mission in that game. Not looking forward to the board game nonsense though, but hey, at least Dante retains his Style change mechanic from DMC3.

I think DMC5 is indeed more accessible to new players more than DMC4 (and DmC, sorry) was, but DMC4 was more accessible compared to DMC1-3. I enjoyed new game very much, and it was so much pleasure to finish it again and again. The difficulty curve grows smoothly which is not bad at all.