Thread: FFIV Treasure Hunters.

Default FFIV Treasure Hunters.

The question is; how many here that play FFIV have managed to get all the rare drops and at least one copy of every item in the game? As crazy as it is I have. Some of them are nightmares to obtain though.. like the Lilith Rod, Silencing Staff, Rune Axe, Giants Gloves, Bomb summon, MindFlayer summon, Coctric summon, Goblin Summon, Glass Mask, Pink Tail and thus Adamantium Armor and so on.

I don't even know how much hours I wasted getting all these but I managed. Granted, I used a game genie code to increase the rare item drop rate from 1/64 to 6/64 which really helped things... meaning I kept my sanity.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not counting the DS version that added dragon tail items, the only item I've never acquired is the Pink Tail. I don't think I ever even tried to attempt it after just trying to get the other items in this game. Honestly the drop rate for all the rare gear is probably my least favorite aspect of this game.

It's also my least favorite part of the game. Final Fantasy V has a way better rare drop ratio 1/8 or 1/16.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I think only early Dragon Quest and the first Suikoden have as bad drop rates without some kind of mechanic to speed it up.

I've played FFIV to death and have never gotten some of these. Mind you, I've never specifically tried to get them. I just got Bomb and Goblin (called "Imp" in the SNES FFII cart, which is how I got it) while overleveling Rydia to learn Meteo as a child. Yes, I inadvertently came across these while doing a crazy thing I decided to do for myself rather than a searching for a rare drop. It's also how I know if you give them to Rydia as a child, she doesn't have them when she comes back, so for completionism, it's probably better to hold on to the drops until she returns to the party (or if you're a real masochist, get two). I'm pretty sure I got the pink tail once. Not as a kid though. Never even ran into a pink puff playing the original. Not even sure if that was included in the FFII SNES cart or not.

Also, I can tell you from experience it's quite possible to do much worse than the stated 1/64 odds would lead you to believe. Would be nice if they at least put a counter on so you were guaranteed to get it after a certain number of battles.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 03-29-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I once reached level cap grinding for a pink tail on my SNES copy before I gave up. I can tell you pink puffs are definitely there. I just never got the tail :/