Thread: I like this, but...

FFXIV Character

Seren Sabouk (Malboro)

Default I like this, but...

Hullo all,

I recently picked this game up and I'm really enjoying it so far, except for one major gripe that I don't really see anyone else mentioning. which PROBABLY MEANS I'M PLAYING IT WRONG, OH WELL

I guess my team got ridiculously OP'd FAST since I've yet to meet a challenging boss or to even die at all, and I barely if ever use quickenings.

(No... I did die once, when for some sTOOPID reason I decided to smack that giant dinosaur with a pole in the very beginning of the game.)

Anyway I'm aware that I probably did this to myself by getting lost AF in places like the sandsea where all the little crab people try to kill you. But also exploring is just so FUNNN that I'm sure I've overleveled just by coming across monsters as I explored...

Will I come across a spike in difficulty eventually (I'm about to finish up the forest where the viera are)?

Would it be worth it to equip Firefly to everyone for a while (I don't even know where to get thoseee)?

Should I just turn this into some kind of challenge run? I've never done that before but I envision it would not last very long as I have little to no self-control (I'm a person who summoned their way aaallll through FFX, and I am not ashamed)

Are the hunts more difficult than storyline bosses? I've done a handful of hunts already but maaaaayybe I should do more??

Thanks for reading and for any advice you guys might have.
    Chief Tobli hash gone ballishtic?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you're playing the Zodiac Age, they did dial the difficulty back, which was my one major gripe with the game. To answer your question, there isn't really a spike in difficulty as much as it's easier for you to hit up difficult optional areas much earlier than you need to, so that can offer a bit of challenge. Hunts are definitely more challenging than the story bosses, as well as the optional Esper battles so you should definitely tackle them, especially since they were designed to be dealt with as you played and not simply saved for endgame.

If that's not working for you, then perhaps turn this into a challenge run I guess.

FFXIV Character

Seren Sabouk (Malboro)

I am indeed playing the Zodiac Age, and did suspect that this was made easier from the original release!

Thanks for the tip, Wolf Kanno. I was hesitant to do too many side things for fear of overleveling even further, but from what you're saying it sounds like the extras is where the fun lies in this game.
    Chief Tobli hash gone ballishtic?