I approve of this sentiment.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Though now that I thought on this subject a little more, I'd say that, while CC is indeed Trash, it's Dirge of Cerberus that is the True Trash FF game.

This is true. I didn"t play it but that's because I know it's true.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Correction:

Final Fantasy is trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Though now that I thought on this subject a little more, I'd say that, while CC is indeed Trash, it's Dirge of Cerberus that is the True Trash FF game.
    From a story point of view or gameplay? I haven't played it in ages, but I seem to recall it being at least passable.

What about All The Bravest ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Correction:

Kingdom Hearts is trash.
    Fixed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    From a story point of view or gameplay? I haven't played it in ages, but I seem to recall it being at least passable.
    No no, Crisis Core had the semi decent gameplay. DoC is hot, steaming garbage no matter how you slice it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel what ultimately bugged me about Crisis Core was the fact that it had the potential to be really good but instead settled for every easy sequel cliche they could go with and never focused on anything I felt was relevant. Overall, I think the biggest writing sin the game had was the hubris of trying to make Zack's story as epic as the original game's plot. I feel a more reserved and scaled back plot focusing on the nature of SOLDIER and the general corruption of Shin-Ra would have been far more interesting than Genesis and another Jenova super soldier project. Likewise, I feel the game missed a prime opportunity of spending all of it's time before the Nibelheim incident, whereas I feel it should have had more time dedicated to Zack and Cloud's cross-country journey back to Midgard. I think the worst part is just how Aerith was portrayed in the game. Made me wonder if the staff bothered playing the game before writing this script.

The gameplay side of things would have been better had the game either been developed for console and thus had the memory to do more for mission variety, or if the optional missions were more specialized and went for quality instead of quantity. The UI was pretty awful, defend was such a useless skill, and dodge roll has KH's problem of being incredibly broken. Materia Melding was cool and I enjoyed the fact that more classic FF commands were introduced like Jump and Darkness/Souleater. I know most people hated the Slot machine aspect, but CC was so ridiculously easy and prime for Junction system levels of brokeness with the materia system that it's random factor was negligible at best except for leveling materia. Personally, I would have made all of Zack's summons be ones that wind up in weird places in VII and you could have him lose them over the course of the story to explain why such powerful materia is sometimes just on the floor in random places.

I've never understood the praise for this game. Being a huge fan of the original FF7 I was so hyped to play it and was cruelly, bitterly disappointed. It's just another crappy spinoff that fails to add anything substantial and only exists to cash in on the FF7 brandname. Genesis in particularly is arguably the worst villain in the history of the FF franchise. I mean sure, it's the least trash of the compilation, but it's still trash.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How weird this thread has popped up now. I actually started my first playthrough of this recently. I'm not too far in yet storywise, I don't think. I've quite enjoyed doing the missions at the save points but they're getting a little tiresome now.

We've completed the mission at Banora Village and Angeal and Genesis are apparently dead. Zack is also Soldier 1st Class.

It's hardly blowing me away but it's perfectly enjoyable

I like Crisis Core too. It has flaws, but it's still a good prequel. Zack is great, and it's fun to see other characters from FFVII.