I play them whenever I can find them. There have been some pretty wanting works wherein you just feel like every step you take reminds you "this could be done better", which overall is "fine, because it's free." But then we've got these gacha games stepping the RPGs toes. Games like Epic Seven, which has kind of a bland story overall, but is still fun to watch all the different characters' animated attacks. Then there is of course, Another Eden, which is very easily identifiable as spiritual successor to the Chrono franchise. It being a straight RPG with gacha elements does not detract from the point that it is still basically a gacha game. Personally, I'm of the opinion that these two are connected if only by virtue of the fact I believe Sir Charles of the former is a future version of main character Aldo from the latter. Same color scheme, same elaborate dress-style, same oversized sword. Come on, I mean, it's obvious. (if you can't identify sardonic wit, you need not respond)

Generally, Epic Seven provides an easier method of obtaining gachas as seemingly everything you do racks up the points you need for summoning. AE on the other hand has a Records system in which you meet certain criteria (clearing chapters, collecting a number of equipment or allies, fighting a number of enemies, etc) to get access to 10 points at a time and 20 points just for logging in every 24 hours (although you can sneak in an extra set of points by logging in just before the game registers a new day somewhere between 1am and 3am US)

Anyway, back on topic, enough of the RPG elements are there, story, equipment, stat alteration, exp, etc.

I've also played ElChronicle recently. Very much an online RPG with gacha elements. You don't acquire characters via points but can get gear. The characters are met and won via timed interactions at the "inn", which means that if you are regular enough, you will have every available character within a few months. The online elements are there not just in chat and competitions but also a central hub where multiple players can gather at "the village" and also guild (although no one ever seems to show up in the one I joined.)

As to how good these games are as RPGs, I can't say my opinion is cut and dry. There are aspects I admire and concepts I loathe the creators for even dreaming it was a good idea, but I'm still playing them. I haven't played FF15 in two months.

So what do you think? Are there any other good RPGs out there for my ipad/iphone?