Thread: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Default Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ugh, I teared up at seeing Carrie Fisher. I think the emotional of seeing someone I love on screen after they're gone, after losing someone recently was too much.

Doesn't look like the theory that the titles were forming a statement has turned out to be real.

But it does look like Rey is, in fact, a Skywalker. Boring. Her actually being nobody is way more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Interesting. I have no idea what the movie is going to be about

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

But it does look like Rey is, in fact, a Skywalker. Boring. Her actually being nobody is way more interesting.

I don't think that's a given.

Honestly if Rey is a Skywalker (I doubt it), I think it would be a weird title to use.

I think to try and find meaning from the title we should think along lines we wouldn't expect at face value. Here's mine: we saw what looked like Death Star wreckage, so this is actually gonna be about resurrecting Anakin Skywalker somehow to raise a new generation of immortal machine people as incorruptible Jedi.

Or it would be if Luke hadn't burned his corpse, which I only remembered happened after I typed out that whole thing, so way to ruin everything as usual, Luke.

EDIT: Someone on Reddit posted the following theory: "We've had 'The Last Jedi,' so now 'Skywalker' will be the new name for a Force user." Now that seems extremely plausible... and I guess it would make Rey a Skywalker after all ^^
    Last edited by Fox; 04-12-2019 at 08:26 PM.

I'm struggling to get any level of excitement for the new Star Wars films. It's just disappointment after disappointment.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

I don't think that's a given.
    My theory is that sometime around Mysteries of the Sith Mara Jade had an affair with Kyle Katarn and became pregnant with Rey, but Katarn disowned the child. Eventually Luke had to adopt her, but years later before going into exile due to Ben's fall to the Dark Side (and the subsequent death of Mara Jade at the hands of the First Order), he brought Rey to Jakku, where some distant relatives of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru had settled for several generations. Unfortunately they were killed in a random raider attack while Luke was in exile, leaving only Rey alive, but she lost all memory of them due to the trauma. Luke decided to keep all this secret while training Rey but will reveal all as a Force ghost in the next film.

So yeah, she's a Skywalker, but in name only.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not terribly excited as the new films haven't really grabbed me like the original, nor do they annoy me like the prequel films. I'll still check it out to see how everything ends, and I do enjoy most of the new cast. I feel my issue really stems from the fact the new films kind of feel a bit like a hollow redo of the original trilogy in some ways, but The Last Jedi did start to finally move in a more interesting direction by the end, so maybe this film might be the one to make the trilogy worthwhile if it can find itself an identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm not terribly excited as the new films haven't really grabbed me like the original, nor do they annoy me like the prequel films. I'll still check it out to see how everything ends, and I do enjoy most of the new cast. I feel my issue really stems from the fact the new films kind of feel a bit like a hollow redo of the original trilogy in some ways, but The Last Jedi did start to finally move in a more interesting direction by the end, so maybe this film might be the one to make the trilogy worthwhile if it can find itself an identity.
    To give the prequels their one small bit of credit, Return of the Sith is honestly a decent film, can't redeem the first two but Palpatine does his absolute best to try.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I enjoy them, but I think what doesn't work for me is that the story is being told over like...maybe a couple of weeks? It cheapens the stakes for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cell View Post
    To give the prequels their one small bit of credit, Return of the Sith is honestly a decent film, can't redeem the first two but Palpatine does his absolute best to try.
    I don't necessarily hate the prequels, I honestly feel Attack of the Clones is the one true dud of the three and Phantom Menance and Revenge of the Sith just have some cringy scenes in it. My issue with the prequels is that they really had a lot of potential and the basic story of all three films are pretty solid but the overall execution of the films is kind of bad and over relies on the special effects. I feel that had the films been done like Empire and Return of the Jedi, where both films had more professional script writers go over George's scripts to punch them up a bit and the film had directors that were more story focused than George's love affair of visual effects, the films would have been better received.

I kind of have the opposite issue with the new films, because I feel the characters are good and the visual tone is just right, but the scripts feel like a redux and there is a real strong sense of "been there, done that" to all of the films so far. The films lack their own identity because they cater too much to the original trilogy.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I honestly feel Attack of the Clones is the one true dud of the three
    It's my favorite Star Wars movie lol

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought The Force Awakens was an excellent Star Wars film even though I didn't like emo Kylo Ren. I still maintain he should have kept his mask on for the entire film. It was a waste of an awesome mask, if you ask me. I love Adam Driver as he's a brilliant actor but I always maintain he was miscast as Kylo Ren.

I enjoyed his performance much more in The Last Jedi though. Good job as the rest of the film was pretty terrible. Not quite Episodes 1 & 2 terrible but still terrible. The "comedy" moments in the first half an hour had me cringing the entire time. Rose is a boring character and the entire sequence on Canto Bight was equally boring. Poe's mutiny was ridiculous and Luke Skywalker well... everyone knows they dropped the ball there.

I think they'll learn from their mistakes though and this will be much better. It's always difficult ending a trilogy but hopefully they can get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    That take is hotter than the Sun itself