Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it true SE is considering to remake this game after FF7R?

Default Is it true SE is considering to remake this game after FF7R?

I was watching video by The Night Sky Prince on the cancelled PS2 remakes of FFVII, VIII, and IX, at the 3:38 mark of the video, he mention that "there are talks for a remake of VIII after FF7R"

Is there any truth to this?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Please look forward to it in 2028.

I would like a remake of FFVIII, but I really think they should remake FFVI first.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I wouldn't expect FFVIII remake until considerable time has passed. I think it has help up pretty well compared to VII graphics-wise (I mean, it's obviously nothing on today's stuff but still) and I don't think it has even half of the demand that VII has, so justifying it would be tricky for SE. I think VI is more likely, with VIII maybe in about ten years, and not to the scale of VII's remake. Maybe an HD version a la FFX.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel it would happen, not like SE hasn't hinted they've wanted to do remakes for most of the FFs that haven't so far. It may really come down to how the VII Remake works out, but I imagine it won't get a remake on that scale unless the engine they're using for VIIR is designed to be easy to work with and repurposed for it. As BoB said, I'm not sure if it will happen after VIIR anyway as Nomura mentioned in a past interview when asked about future FF remakes after VIIR that he is a bit disappointed V and VI were skipped over, so maybe after them. Course, this all comes down to how the VII remake works out for SE. While I'm pretty confident in it's eventual success, whether that translates to cost-efficiency on the developer side may change how they do remakes of future installments.

I don't think it's true. The FF7 remake has been an idea that's been floated around for almost as long as the games been out at this point. It's always been an idea that Square expressed interest in. There's no parallel to that for FF8 or any other game in the series. FF8 seems almost forgotten, given that it hasn't seen releases corresponding to recent ones for FF7 and FF9. Even if it isn't, it's not likely we'll be looking at a remake on the scale of FF7, which is taking forever.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Eidos President between 1997 and 1999 Keith Boesky
    The funny thing is, I got a call [a couple years ago] from Square, because they wanted to rerelease the PC version, and they asked me if I knew where the gold master was,
    They apparently lost the code for VIII.
    Source

How do you lose the code for something that was available on PS3 for download?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    Please look forward to it in 2028.
    That's generous lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I suspect the release version is different than the development version. I hear the same thing happened to Kingdom Hearts and the PS3 remake was a ground-up rebuild.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    I suspect the release version is different than the development version. I hear the same thing happened to Kingdom Hearts and the PS3 remake was a ground-up rebuild.
    Yeah it was, the models for Sora and Riku were taken from the tutorial segment from Dream Drop Distance.

So then, they do still have code for a version of the game, right?

To be honest I don't think that SE cares much about FFVIII anymore, unless it includes Rinoa or Squall. I would love for SE to prove me wrong though.

Good news. FFVIII does include Rinoa AND Squall.

Good news. FFVIII does include Rinoa AND Squall.