Thread: What should we expect from a Nomura-directed FF7v

Default What should we expect from a Nomura-directed FF7v

I’ve never seen AC so i wouldn’t know how Nomura view the universe of FF7.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Expect a lot of visual flash and over the top wire fu.

Lens flare
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm worried that he'll have his own radical take on what the "real" themes of FFVII truly were, and he'll plaster them over the top of everything Hironobu Sakaguchi created in the original game. Nomura seems to think he's some kind of creative genius, but I regard him as a bit of a hack when it comes to anything other than character design, and he stopped having new ideas in that field nearly twenty years ago.

Ever seen the behind-the-scenes documentaries for Advent Children? Like the one where Nomura mumbles and sniffs his way through explaining that the movie's major theme is "Cloud is getting older and it's time for a new generation to rise"? Cloud is 23, and the "new generation" was referring to Kadaj and co - literal fragments of Sephiroth himself. In short, Nomura's explanation of his own movie made basically no real sense.

To say nothing of what he did with his magnum opus, the Kingdom Hearts series. Who else would create a sprawling, lovingly rendered crossover of beloved Disney family classics, and turn it into a story about child soldiers, human experiments, and human experiments on child soldiers?

This is the guy who's directing the FFVII remake, and I'm seriously worried that he'll try to leave his own unique 'mark' on its storytelling unless his colleagues keep a very close eye on him.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel what ever integrity one feels VII has was already lost by the time of the Compilation series. I can't really be excited for a game that is willing to share it's existence with a character like Genesis.

Still, I agree that Nomura's handling of the KH franchise should be a bit worrying for long time fans of VII. With that said, it's probably best to wait until the game is released before passing any real judgment. I actually imagine the ramke will feel like the Rebuild of Evangelion. Starts off fairly faithful to the original before it starts to go into its own unique direction halfway through. I seriously doubt the final boss battle will be the same.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Child soldiers in KH? What?

Anyway, expect to see the Goddess Miner a mentioned in some way shape or form. Heck, she might be the actual final boss this time around, as I agree with WK this will probs take a more RoE approach. And you know, the Compilation of FFVII had a lot of trout added. Genesis, the Tzviets - all of that is like, bad, but bearable. But the heaps of lore added to those quests I. CC are just so world-changing, so clashing with the original’a established world building, that they’ve really already fundamentally changed what FFVII is about.

The Compilation was a mistake. And it’s a mistake we’ll have to live with as it will more than likely shape FFVIIR far more than the original with. (But then maybe at least that will mean they’ll rewrite the sheer stupidity of the Huge Materia quest)

Also, guys, lay off Nomura. Like, the poor dude is being handed all these projects he has way too many of and he gets the brunt of the criticism despite the fact that everything wrong with SE nowadays is it’s troutty management. Nomura may have a style that’s not for everyone, but he’s one of SE’s more competent directors active around now. Did you want Motomu Toriyana to handle this?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think it'll be a cool tribute to an old game. The old game will still be there for me to enjoy, and now there will also be this remake with a bit of re-imagination in it. Cool. It'll be like I can have my favourite game and another version of my favourite game, what's not to like?

This is not the greatest game in the world. This is just a tribute.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!