Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

There's actual materia in the Buster Sword!

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I do expect confirmation that they're dropping the 'episodic' plan. It's a dumb idea that is going to turn what should be the world's easiest PR coup into a catastrophe. They know it, we know it, and they know we know they know it. So they may as well confirm that now and reap the goodwill.
    Fewer than 12 hours after I posted this it turned out to be wrong. Talk about aging poorly.

Well done SE, you once again show me the error of my ways when I give you just the slightest, tiniest amount of credit whatsoever.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well at least we're finally seeing footage past the second Mako Reactor. All the way up to Don Corneo at least. I still imagine Episode 1 will only cover the Midgard section. Combat looks like a variation of FFXV and Crisis Core at the moment, and I'll say right now that it's likely too early to say for sure that Barret and the rest of the cast are fully playable.

Not a bad trailer and I'm happy we're finally seeing some Aerith for once and that she sounds normal. I've been playing too much KH lately and completely forgot how awful her VA was in KH2. I'm still predicting the game will be released at the earliest by next year, but it's a good sign that SE is actually starting to talk about it again.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Sounds good to me! Wait...

What th-

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I have watched this trailer a few too many times. It's looking really good and I can't wait to find out more about it in June. The trailer made me start replaying FFVII today, but I'm not sure whether I'll continue or not. On one hand I want to, but on the other I just want to wait for the remake.
    Last edited by fat_moogle; 05-10-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

I’m beginning to have doubts that Red XIII will be playable in this episode.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The voice acting seems fine for what it is: A dramatic video game with eccentric anime-like dialogues and statements. They're not in context in the trailer, obviously, and are just pulled soundbites that will inevitably make sense when given context, scenario, etc. Also, I felt like they were the same voice actors from previous games.

Digging everything about this. Can't wait for Tifa and Red XIII to be revealed! I am hyped.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I've already been seeing people complain about Tifa's tits and we haven't even seen them.

Also saw some complaints about how Cloud looks to feminine. I lol'd

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I've already been seeing people complain about Tifa's tits and we haven't even seen them.

Also saw some complaints about how Cloud looks to feminine. I lol'd
    Yeah, I'm pre-ready to not care at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ther View Post
    I’m beginning to have doubts that Red XIII will be playable in this episode.
    Why ? This episode should at least go up to leaving Shrina HQ.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    One thing that really stood out was that it looked like Barrett was playable. Which is a load off because I was afraid we'd be stuck with Cloud the entire time. And now I'm curious to how all the party members will play. Cid, Yuffie, and Red will be interesting.
    I heard somewhere that you'll be able to switch freely between any characters in your party. I think it was the Final Fantasy Union video on YouTube about the myriad blink-and-you'll-miss-it details hidden in the trailer.

It's looking good so far - I especially like the fine detailing on the scenery and characters, and fine touches like the animations and hit effects for each character during combat.

I'm still dubious about whether they'll ever actually finish and release any of it. The fact that it'll be episodic also gives me pause - how much content per episode, and how often? How many hundreds of HDD-hogging gigabytyes by the time it's actually done? Are they going to use "episodic" as an excuse to discard tonnes of content and reduce the game to a highlight reel of key scenes? Or just as bad, go the Valve route of abandoning future episodes entirely because it's cheaper and easier to focus on other games instead?

Sure, I sound very pessimistic about all this. It's mainly because I have so little faith in Tetsuya Nomura's creative ability. I simply don't think he has what it takes to direct a full-blown remake of FFVII in its entirety, and I don't think Square-Enix has sufficient talent or passion to commit to the project either. I'd love to be wrong, but I've been seriously dubious ever since that early announcement that the remake was going to be episodic, apparently because they simply couldn't figure out how to release it as a complete product.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

*potential FFVII spoilers if you somehow haven't played it yet*

There's still so much we don't know about this game, hopefully we will get the answer to many of those questions next month.

I mean, this is Final Fantasy VII. However, they're touting this as a "new story". So far the opening scenes feel extremely faithful to the beggining of the game, but we have to remember that Final Fantasy VII is part of a compilation now.

We can forget about Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus due to the fact that they take place after the events of Final Fantasy VII. However if they really want to tell a new story then they'll have to of course reference Crisis Core if they want it to remain canon. Aerith will be pivotal to this and I hope they get her to expand on her past, especially in the scene with her being taken away from her mother and when she references Zack. I don't want her to just say "oh you look like someone I knew once".
    Last edited by fat_moogle; 05-12-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    Are they going to use "episodic" as an excuse to discard tonnes of content and reduce the game to a highlight reel of key scenes?
    If anything they have been giving off the impression that they will expand on existing content, with more of Midgar being explorable. They have stated something along the lines of each episode having a full game worth of content which I'll take with a pinch of salt but still will expect something at least on par with Life is Strange levels of content, with likely additional cutscenes.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Life is Strange doesn't have that much content. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but if that's the measuring stick we're going by we may have trouble.