Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game Developers you (still) have faith in

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I worry more about how publishers are acting than developers. Expectations are ballooning, which makes money a more imperative element, which then also holds developers further accountable to the hand that pays them. The indie and AA spheres have been doing really good stuff almost consistently, so that provides me with all the faith I need.
    That's exactly why I'm hoping for a return of the vital AA industry we had just a decade or two ago. Some well-designed indie games are doing so well financially, that I hope the big publishers will see projects with lower costs as viable again.

That said, I wonder how much of an issue advertising is in this day and age. With the amount of games available to the average consumer now, publishers feel that they need to spend huge percentages of the money they put into a project into the advertising alone. And I honestly don't know whether they are wrong in thinking that. But I don't know. The optimist in me still kinda wants to believe that if your art is good enough, the audience will come to you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeasideArms View Post
    The optimist in me still kinda wants to believe that if your art is good enough, the audience will come to you.
    You'd think that but then gfdi y'all, why are WarZidane and myself the only two people who mentioned Nihon Falcom!

Seriously though I think they kinda exemplify the strange "overlooked company in plain sight", you'll find only few people who haven't at least heard of their flagship Trails and Ys series, and you'll also find only few people around who've actually played them. Kinda does give some credence to the very real power of publishers and advertisers, much as I'd like it to not be so.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SeasideArms View Post
    The optimist in me still kinda wants to believe that if your art is good enough, the audience will come to you.
    You'd think that but then gfdi y'all, why are WarZidane and myself the only two people who mentioned Nihon Falcom!

Seriously though I think they kinda exemplify the strange "overlooked company in plain sight", you'll find only few people who haven't at least heard of their flagship Trails and Ys series, and you'll also find only few people around who've actually played them. Kinda does give some credence to the very real power of publishers and advertisers, much as I'd like it to not be so.
    Well you'll be happy to know I've recently tried Ys VIII and it's not bad so far.

I did try Ys with Memories of Celceta and also Origins. Memories of Celceta is ... fine. A little light on story compared to my favored RPGs and also...I hate to sound shallow, but I generally don't care much for games that use that kind of perspective. I just feel to removed or something. I don't know why, but I don't like it and it takes me out of the experience.

I like the Ys series, although I'm a few games behind. The problem for me is that they spent too long not releasing games on the platform I play (PC) and I only have time to play so many games.

None of them. They're all greedy bastards at heart tbh. Some are worse than others, but they're all pretty much manipulative fricks. Maybe a decade ago, things might've been different, maybe even 15 or 20 years ago. But today ? Nope.

Yes, they make fun and entertaining games, but they're also not our friends so to speak. They're all greedy businessmen.