Thread: The After Years: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco The After Years: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Let's lay it all on the table. I know some of have played The After Years, what were your favorite parts, which parts could have been better, and which parts were just unacceptable?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Golbez was bae. Mysterious Girl battle music was great. Planet eater take was weird but ok.ack of challenge dungeons in iOS version was terrible because these were actually fun. A bit too many characters, but the added joint techniques are nice. Final dungeon length is absolutely unacceptable though. Also the story copying scenes from the original almost verbatim was a bit much

Good : learning about Kain's atonement and redemption was cool, and how he helped Cecil's son throughout the game. Also seeing Edward become more badass. Golbez is a hottie.

Bad : Copy and paste dungeons and atmosphere, storyline felt like a copy and paste as well. It's annoying when sequels shout " REMEMBER THIS PART " ??? In your face.

Some of the tales are so great. I particularly enjoy Kain's, Edge's and Rydia's ones. I also like to see Palom and Porom being older and playing more important roles in the game.
    I don't like the repetitive dungeons though.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Good - Moon Phase and Unite attacks were neat ideas that work really well for the gameplay side of things, especially with the ramped difficulty. Many of the new characters are fun. I also enjoyed Kain and Ceodore's relationship and seeing Yang as a father or the twins as teenagers.

The Bad - The whole scenario wallows too much in nostalgia to be interesting.

The Ugly - Some of the dungeons are just not fun or creative enough, which is a shame coming from a sequel to a game that tried to be more novel with their dungeon design. I also kind of dislike the Creator and the story implications he brings to the FFIV mythos.