Thread: Why do YOU think FFV's plot is overlooked?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Why do YOU think FFV's plot is overlooked?

Is it just ho-hum and forgettable, or do you feel FFV's story is one of the greats and just keeps getting sidelined because the other games were overexposed? Do you believe FFV's plot can stand toe to toe with some of the more beloved entries?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It’s one of my favorite plots in the series and I never got why people pushed it away for so long. People take issue with how ridiculous it is, but then forget some real zany trout happened in IV. Of course, IV has the benefit of actually coming to Western shores in the 90s, so that may have something to do with it...

I don't think it's overlooked, because I don't think there's much to overlook. It's a very basic story that's easily surpassed by the games immediately before and after it. Sure FFIV is a basic story too. Even more basic in some respects. However, in FFIV the basic story plays to its strengths by always keeping to simple universal themes. Ultimately, FFIV is a story about the path to redemption and forgiveness. It's an extremely human story. FFV on the other hand is an extremely tree story, I guess. My point (beyond getting in my jabs at Ex-Death) is the plot is very shallow. It might have some neat fantastical elements but they feel hollow because they never really resonate at a deeper level. The plot of FFV feels like a run of the mill RPG going through the motions. There's a few standout moments that rise above that, I suppose, but not enough to carry the game. So yeah, I'm casting my vote for ho-hum and forgettable. The plot can stand toe to toe with and even above the NES entries, but it can't compete with the other SNES entries.

I love Final Fantasy V, but the story feels all done before, we've seen the baddie steal the crystals plot for "the evils" done with Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy III, and Final Fantasy IV, all done before FFV.

Though, Final Fantasy V's story is Final Fantasy I/ Final Fantasy III's story with more depth, humour and sometimes even darkness, so it's not bad, just done already. I think if FFV got released in America sooner than later, people might of been more forgiving towards it. It would've made a fun American " Final Fantasy IV".

I really like FFV. The story is simple but it's still interesting and I really like the characters and the job system.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Is it just ho-hum and forgettable, or do you feel FFV's story is one of the greats and just keeps getting sidelined because the other games were overexposed? Do you believe FFV's plot can stand toe to toe with some of the more beloved entries?
    The guy with many arms and weapons is memorable to me. Does that count?