Thread: Recruitment Order

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Relm Recruitment Order

Simple question, during the WoR segment, once the Falcon was acquired, what order did you recruit the rest of the cast?

I can't remember fully but I think I went Celes, Sabin, Edgar, Setzer, Gau, Relm/ Shadow, Strago, Terra, Gogo, Mog/ Umaro, Cyan and then Locke. It's been quite some time, so this might be wrong. Locke was always last though, due to the Phoenix Cave.

I always do approximately that order:
    Celes
    Sabin
    Edgar
    Setzer
    Terra
    Cyan
    Mog
    Relm
    Shadow
    Gau
    Strago
    Locke
    Umaro
    Gogo

Locke is almost the last one, but he's never the last because he's my favorite character and I miss him LOL Also, I always recruit Umaro at the same time I go to Narshe to get Ultima, and we need him for that so :P

I don't remember exactly. Locke tends to be on the later side because I wajt at least two full parties to do that. It goes Celes (obvois and technically not recruited), Sabin, Edgar, Setzer. That first part is pretty much a mandatory order except Sabin, but he's right on the way. I'm not sure if you can get Terra before the airship, but I generally don't. So next Terra, probably Gau because he's easy, maybe Relm or maybe Cyan, Shadow (I actually have no idea when I recruit Shadow), Mog, Locke, Strago, Umaro, Gogo. I might get Umaro when I get Mog, but I might not...
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 05-30-2019 at 10:58 PM.

I generally play low level, so after getting Sabin along the way Mog is my first priority, then usually Gau and Shadow, as they are the next most important two, then Gogo to double up on useful abilities, then it doesn't especially matter, so Realm into Strago, Cyan, Locke, Umaro, and Terra.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I usually just follow the path the game sets for you:
    Celes - Sabin - Edgar - Setzer - Cyan - Gau - Shadow - Terra - Relm - Strago - Locke - Mog - Umaro - Gogo

If I'm feeling a bit whimsical, I tend to leave Locke and Terra for last, and I won't recruit Sabin until Edgar is available. It's always kind of interesting trying to play the Ruined World without some of the popular standbys in your team.

I'm not sure how it pushes you in any particular order past Cyan. Other than maybe the numbers on the map included with the SNES version of the game. Are there clues leading to each member from getting the previous one?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I'm not sure how it pushes you in any particular order past Cyan. Other than maybe the numbers on the map included with the SNES version of the game. Are there clues leading to each member from getting the previous one?
    There are some breadcrumbs. Cyan will mention where Gau is, which will also lead you to the new cave on the Veldt to find Shadow or Relm, depending on if Shadow lived. Going back to Thamasa will have a few NPC mention where both of them went and you'll likely have seen Strago and Terra just trying to get to the airship at the start. The only characters that have no clues are the three optional party members of Mog, Umaro, and Gogo especially hard since Narshe is kind of a pain to find on the map. Locke also has several clues to find him, but a lot of them were lost in the Woosely translation due to space limitations making him harder to find than he should have been. These were fixed in the GBA translation. If one of the party member doesn't outright state where someone is, then simply talking with any nearby NPC around the recruitment area will usually net you the clue to the next location to go.

To be fair, the Woolsey translation was for the SNES version, which came with a map labeling all the points of interest in the World of Balance on one side and World of Ruin on the other side. Of course, if you got it used, rented it, or just lost the map, you'd be hurting more for the lack of clues. Obviously, the map doesn't tell you Locke's in the Phoenix Cave, but it does let you know that the Phoenix Cave is a destination that exists and where it is on the map. I think I mostly tried to follow the order of the numbers on the map my first time through, at least to the extent that's possible.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My copy was used, so I never had the map. Would have been really useful. Lol

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think Terra, Sabin, and Edgar were at the beginning of my recruitment in this phase of the game, but I can't remember who all came after them. Shadow was somewhere in that beginning order too since I went out of my way to make sure he wasn't left behind when the world ended.