Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Starting FFVII with my kids

My twins are 5 now and I'm starting to play FF with them. I decided to go with VII first since it is awesome and also it was available to download on PSN. I also wanted to refresh myself on the game before the remake comes out (when they're in high school probably).

We played for about 3 hours the first day and got to right before the assault on Shinra HQ. The kids can't read yet so I'm reading all the text to them. I do Cloud in a my normal voice, Tifa a little higher, Aerith as high pitched as I can go without squeaking, and Barret with a Mr. T accent. Yeah, that last one is kind of racist but it is also entirely what SE intended his voice to be. President Shinra has kind of a Doctor Claw from Inspector Gadget kind of voice while Don Corneo sounds kind of like James from Pokemon though more clownish. Heidegger is the hardest to do so far, I intended him to sound Russian but my Russian accent sucks and he sounds more like The Count from Sesame Street.

The kids love the game so far. My daughter likes the "flower girl" and the limit breaks. She also is remarkably good at remembering plot details and connecting them (like, she saw Reno come in the church and suspected he was going to try and get the flower girl). My son likes when we fight a new creature and is really into the battles, especially when I zap everything with Bolt+All. Their favorite part so far is when Aerith pushed one of Corneo's henchmen down the stairs. They also of course liked the Cloud crossdressing scene.

This PSN version of the game is super cool as it allows you to turn off random encounters or go to 3X speed at will. There is also a super cheating "instant limit break" button that seems a little much. All these perks are awesome for someone who has played this 10 times and just wants to chill with the kids!

I'll keep updating as we progress.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Sounds like a great time! Did your son like the house monster? Surely the best random encounter in Midgar there is. Also what did they make of the whole Don Corneo thing? That's pretty seedy stuff right there! I was a kid when I played it too so I'm trying to remember what I thought of it, and I think I just thought he was some classic mustachioed villain who kidnapped women just 'cause.

What's your Red XIII voice going to be?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

Scooby Scooby Doooooo!!!!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

no

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh man, I love this, and can't wait to see more updates. Good choice too; it teaches kids about caring for our planet and fighting the man. o7

I was 8 when I played the game for the first time, so I was close in age to your kids. I remember distinctly being drawn to the game because all of the pretty colors (well, pretty everything--it was 1999, after all. And some of the graphics still hold up today). Aeris' first limit break makes the most satisfying twinkling sound.

Are you planning on doing the entire game? Like sidequests and stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    This PSN version of the game is super cool as it allows you to turn off random encounters or go to 3X speed at will. There is also a super cheating "instant limit break" button that seems a little much. All these perks are awesome for someone who has played this 10 times and just wants to chill with the kids!
    Wait wtf where are these settings

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sounds like a great time! Did your son like the house monster? Surely the best random encounter in Midgar there is.
    They thought the house monster was super funny. It was also a lot harder than I remember. Ton of HP. Easily the coolest monster in Midgar.

Also what did they make of the whole Don Corneo thing? That's pretty seedy stuff right there! I was a kid when I played it too so I'm trying to remember what I thought of it, and I think I just thought he was some classic mustachioed villain who kidnapped women just 'cause.
    Since I gave him a pretty silly voice and his intentions are pretty vague in the text, they didn't think he was anything more than a cartoonish villain that liked to take people.

Good question. I'll need to figure that out soon, and Rufus who will probably just sound like his dad but more evil. I always imagined Red XIII to have a deep voice though he's supposed to be a teenager for his species. Rude will probably sound like Ving Rhames.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Oh man, I love this, and can't wait to see more updates. Good choice too; it teaches kids about caring for our planet and fighting the man. o7
    Yeah, and they are definitely 100% team AVALANCHE. Like Barret-got to blow up all the reactors because it's draining the planet's energy-level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Are you planning on doing the entire game? Like sidequests and stuff?
    We'll see how far we get, but the no encounters/3X speed button makes it easy enough to get some of those done. Yuffie/Vincent are a given, and I'm sure they'll want to do the Gold Saucer games. I think they'd be into the chocobo colors but the breeding is kind of tedious. I know they'd love KotR though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    If you are playing on a PS4, click the left control stick button down to enter 3X speed. Click the right stick button down to automatically fill your limit bar (super cheating but good to unlock those later limits at least). Click both down to turn off random encounters. That last one is fantastic when you are trying to backtrack!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    If you are playing on a PS4, click the left control stick button down to enter 3X speed. Click the right stick button down to automatically fill your limit bar (super cheating but good to unlock those later limits at least). Click both down to turn off random encounters. That last one is fantastic when you are trying to backtrack!
    I'm doing it on Vita, maybe it's not on that version

My daughter likes the "flower girl"
    oh no

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gashtacular View Post
    My daughter likes the "flower girl"
    oh no
    shh she's just sleeping

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also what did they make of the whole Don Corneo thing? That's pretty seedy stuff right there! I was a kid when I played it too so I'm trying to remember what I thought of it, and I think I just thought he was some classic mustachioed villain who kidnapped women just 'cause.
    Since I gave him a pretty silly voice and his intentions are pretty vague in the text, they didn't think he was anything more than a cartoonish villain that liked to take people.
    I remember as a kid thinking the "he's looking for a wife" thing was real. I knew he was having sex with them, but I didn't understand any of the darker implications of his story. So they didn't think anything was off about "he wants a wife" thing.

Good question. I'll need to figure that out soon, and Rufus who will probably just sound like his dad but more evil. I always imagined Red XIII to have a deep voice though he's supposed to be a teenager for his species. Rude will probably sound like Ving Rhames.
    You should give him growly, gravelly voice. If you think your vocal cords can handle it. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

We haven't gotten much further, just started the assault on Shinra HQ. My daughter keeps asking me to put the Flower Girl in my party and told me to go back to her house to find her (which you actually had to do to check on Marlene). The elected to sneak into Shinra and loved the endless staircase. Barret and Tifa's bickering was funnier than I remember. Mayor Domino's password was hard to figure out and eventually they said "Dad just look it up on your phone."

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Awww kids these days, can't look it up on that old final fantasy website, nope just google it on your phone. BACK IN MY DAY we had to bicker with people on internet message boards!

This is so adorable and so cute. It's like you're reading an interactive book to them! They'll remember this.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Back in my day they sold guides in book form.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

First thing we did when we started the game is bust out the ol' Brady strategy guide. My son looked through the pictures but it wasn't very useful to him since he can't read! Maybe we should utilize it more though.