My twins are 5 now and I'm starting to play FF with them. I decided to go with VII first since it is awesome and also it was available to download on PSN. I also wanted to refresh myself on the game before the remake comes out (when they're in high school probably).

We played for about 3 hours the first day and got to right before the assault on Shinra HQ. The kids can't read yet so I'm reading all the text to them. I do Cloud in a my normal voice, Tifa a little higher, Aerith as high pitched as I can go without squeaking, and Barret with a Mr. T accent. Yeah, that last one is kind of racist but it is also entirely what SE intended his voice to be. President Shinra has kind of a Doctor Claw from Inspector Gadget kind of voice while Don Corneo sounds kind of like James from Pokemon though more clownish. Heidegger is the hardest to do so far, I intended him to sound Russian but my Russian accent sucks and he sounds more like The Count from Sesame Street.

The kids love the game so far. My daughter likes the "flower girl" and the limit breaks. She also is remarkably good at remembering plot details and connecting them (like, she saw Reno come in the church and suspected he was going to try and get the flower girl). My son likes when we fight a new creature and is really into the battles, especially when I zap everything with Bolt+All. Their favorite part so far is when Aerith pushed one of Corneo's henchmen down the stairs. They also of course liked the Cloud crossdressing scene.

This PSN version of the game is super cool as it allows you to turn off random encounters or go to 3X speed at will. There is also a super cheating "instant limit break" button that seems a little much. All these perks are awesome for someone who has played this 10 times and just wants to chill with the kids!

I'll keep updating as we progress.